Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

User Guide or Idiot's Guide to Permissions

Go to End

9 Posts   4279 Views

RichHead

Community Member, 13 Posts

31 January 2010 at 11:45pm

Hi,

Have just started using SilverStripe and love what it allows me to achieve for my village community site (see http://thruxtonvillage.com); however, at the moment this is all maintained by me via Admin and I'd like to be able to open certain pages to the relevant persons in the village.

For the life of me I cannot work out how the permissions/groups etc. are supposed to work.

Is there an idiot's guide somewhere for someone like me (an idiot!)

Thanks

Rich

RichHead

5 February 2010 at 9:29pm

Does the lack of response mean that no-one knows, or that I should have found this myself, if the latter - believe me - I have searched, but seem unable to find anything that can help.

I just cannot work out how the security / groups are supposed to work...

ajshort

Community Member, 244 Posts

5 February 2010 at 10:40pm

The really quick overview is that permission codes are used to check if a user can do something - these are just arbitrary strings like CREATE_THIS, EDIT_THAT. Each Group can have several permission codes attached to it, and each Member can be a member of multiple groups. This is how permissions work for things like CMS access.

For page viewing it's a little different. Each Page has a relationship to many groups - you can manage this in the Access tab. If you specify access only to the selected groups, then when the page is requested the system will check if the current member belongs to one of the groups you selected. If they are, they are shown the page.

RichHead

5 February 2010 at 10:50pm

AJShort - thanks for the response, I'll see if I can put that into practice, I have set all pages to be viewable to all, but want to restrict access to the edit functions different users different screens

StuM

Community Member, 59 Posts

6 February 2010 at 2:09pm

If you're restricting the edit function, you'd do something like:

1. In security, create a group
2. Add a user to that group
3. In the CMS, open the page and change the 'Who can edit this page?' in the access tab to the group you've just created.

You may need to do step 3 on any pages you wouldn't want edited by just anybody as well, set the 'Who can edit this page?' to administrators, that could be the default though, I'm not 100% sure

Hope this helps.

RichHead

6 February 2010 at 9:05pm

Ah!

The penny is beginning to drop...

Thanks guys

Rich

RichHead

15 February 2010 at 1:22am

Edited: 15/02/2010 2:12am

Ok, I have been playing a bit and can restrict (edit) access to certain individuals to certain pages... but...

2) How do I provide (restricted) access to certain people so that they can upload files to specific directories (so they have PDF, images etc, they can use on their pages)?
3) How do I prevent a user deleting a page or re-ordering the pages on the site?

RichHead

8 March 2010 at 1:07am

Can anyone help with the latest questions?

Also, is there a way to upload a file directly into a page (akin to Wordpress), rather than having to load the file first?

Go to Top