Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We're retiring the forums!

The SilverStripe forums have passed their heyday. They'll stick around, but will be read only. We'd encourage you to get involved in the community via the following channels instead:

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

my first template, I have a working CSS layout but when I put it into a I get horizontal space around my images???

Go to End

3 Posts   842 Views


Community Member, 137 Posts

23 March 2010 at 5:39pm

Hi all,

I have a few basic questions regarding my first time setup of a template with ss.

I have copied a good working CSS layout into a silver stripe file in the hope that the original design should hold up pretty well, which it does apart from having a 1 or 2 pixel gap along the horizontal edge of all of my images which I am trying to work out why that is.

I'm examining all the CSS files across the SS site and in the saphire/css directory trying to find out what is making it do this?

Why is that no matter what I get the SS bottom footer (page view in: CMS Draft Site Published) bar despite not even being logged into or looking at the admin? Obvously I don't want people to see that bar.
Is that just the default way a SS site installs and I simply remove
from the

Or maybe that is just the default way for the tutorial template which I am basing my own template off.

Seems a bit silly,

Any help would be great


Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

23 March 2010 at 7:01pm

1 - Your best bet is to install Firebug which is a plugin for firefox. Using this you can dig through the css.

2 - I believe the nav bar only is enabled for every one when your site is in devmode. If it is in livemode it should hide the bar.


Community Member, 137 Posts

23 March 2010 at 7:55pm

HI Will thanks for the help, I've been able to locate the problem. I designed my initial css layout with a doc type of:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "">

it only just occurred to me that SS uses a doc type of.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "">

and this is what is causing the rendering difference, so I guess I'll have to get my design working around this new doc type and hopefully that will fix it.

Thanks again