Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

New Zealand Silverstripe Hosting Recommendations Wanted for Small/Medium Websites

Go to End

Tama

Community Member, 138 Posts

14 June 2016 at 11:57am

We've repeatedly run into issues with small/medium Silverstripe websites on shared hosting platforms. What seems to happen is the CMS occasionally causes CPU/database spikes (/dev/build is a good example) which triggers throttling of the instance the website is running on, degrading performance. We've also run into problems with shared database servers dropping prepared statements.

I've approached a few hosting companies about hosting Silverstripe but their response suggests they either don't understand or haven't got experience with Silverstripe.

The websites in question are for small/medium businesses/organisations so the Silverstripe platform is too expensive. I think $150-400 p/year is reasonable, depending on website size.

We have run Silverstripe websites on AWS and Digital Ocean but that adds overhead in terms of server setup and ongoing maintenance. It can also turn the developer into 24/7 technical support, which we want to avoid.

Ideally I'm looking for a New Zealand based company with New Zealand based support (text chat support to Bangalore isn't helpful) who can host small/medium Silverstripe websites on a control panel based/ managed server.

Thank you in advance.