Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

SilverStripe 3.1 TinyMCE 'Insert Media - From CMS' - file search/filter

Go to End

2 Posts   862 Views

forumq42

Community Member, 18 Posts

22 June 2016 at 12:42pm

I have a question about the functionality of file searching when inserting media on a page.

On our SilverStripe 3.1 instance, uploading files is no problem. We have many files, organized into many directories and subdirectories.

However, when we try the search via the magnifying glass, and entering a file we know exists on the filesystem in a subdirectory, the search result just shows the entire directory tree of our /assets directory (just directory names in the tree, not files as well), rather than a single result of the file in question. The magnifying glass I refer to is the one reached by the drop down menu parallel with 1> Find in Folder , when one clicks the directory next to the Find in Folder (maybe Uploads is the default), the entire tree is listed with a search box on top of the tree.

There is a 2nd magnifying glass parallel with the 'Name' column under the 1> Find in Folder [directory dropdown]

If one has Uploads listed in the Find in Folder dropdown and enter a known filename in that 2nd magnifying glass, the result is a table with 1 column 'Name' and "No items found" in the result row.

Can someone describe accurately, in detail, how the insert media file search is supposed to work?

- Is it supposed to do an actual search (tree traversal? I know in the database File table files are stored as IDs with a column for the filesystem path)
- Is it just supposed to be a filter on the filenames for whatever folder the user selects in Find in Folder?
- Does it only return directory names and not file names?

It doesn't seem well documented under :
https://userhelp.silverstripe.org/en/3.1/creating_pages_and_content/working_with_images_and_documents/

except that "Additionally, you can use the provided search box to search by the image's filename." My experience is that it does not behave the way I might expect search to work. This in turn needs to be explained clearly to our users of course.

Is it a typo? As in should it say 'Find Folder' instead of 'Find in Folder' ?

I've looked at the File table in the database but this doesn't clear up how things are supposed to work in the Insert Media file picker.

Since if we search for a directory name that is a subdirectory, say a date '2011', subfolders that have '2011' in their name come back in the result tree.
Is the insert media button in SilverStripe 3.1 specific to TinyMCE or is this somewhat modified for SilverStripe?

Any idea if a TinyMCE 3.x plugin like MoxieManager works without modification?

Thanks for any deeper insight.

These seems to be the case even in

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

26 June 2016 at 10:27pm

I've stumbled into this as well at some point. Might be interesting to check if it has improved in the latest stable function, and if not, make an issue of it on GitHub, at silverstripe-cms...