Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Odd issue: Insert Media from the web no longer working - need some ideas please

Go to End

2 Posts   927 Views

ZarockNZ

Community Member, 17 Posts

22 March 2017 at 3:53pm

Hi,

We have encountered an odd issue in CWP SilverStripe (framework and cms v3.2.3) where trying to insert media from the web in to page content is no longer working. Both in the front and back-end CMS. We are not sure when this stopped working, the client just noticed today after we did a release and they updated a link on the site to point to a page with an embedded video.

In the front end for existing embeds, in the source of the page the div which is supposed to be picked up by Javascript and turned in to the iframe is not being output so all we get is the caption with a link to the youtube video we try to embed being output - not an embedded video.

When we try to add new media from the web the CMS, after clicking "Add URL" in the dialog the row in the Details and Dimensions section below is blank - it does not populate the file type or thumbnail etc. This happens for any media I try and put in from the web - Youtube, Viemo, Images on other sites.

I have asked the team here at work and we have tried a number of things, including rolling out the old version of the site to a QA environment and its still not working in the old. On this note the insert from web does work on my local machine, just not on the QA, UAT, or live systems.

So this probably points to being something with the set up for the live, UAT, and QA environments which as running on NGINX, but what would cause this?. I checked with the sys admin and php-curl is installed - this topic from a while ago, which sounds similar did suggest checking that https://www.silverstripe.org/community/forums/general-questions/show/25541 Note though that we don't get any errors in the CMS and the sys admin cannot see anything in the log to suggest what the issue may be.

Anyone ever come across this? or have any suggestions on what to try to resolve?

Many thanks,
DouG.

ZarockNZ

Community Member, 17 Posts

21 April 2017 at 3:57pm

We have no idea how or why but the issue corrected itself after a couple of days, first on the live site then about a day later of the test site. Sys admins say the firewall rules were the same on all environments so I don't know. Has not reoccurred so that's the main thing.