Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

PHP Warnings on top of CMS page, won't go away

Go to End

5 Posts   2488 Views

D.K.

Community Member, 20 Posts

8 May 2010 at 5:25am

I'm getting "Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated; If you would like to pass it by reference, modify the declaration of [runtime function name](). If you would like to enable call-time pass-by-reference, you can set allow_call_time_pass_reference to true in your INI file in /home/.halcyon/dkulchenko/portools.com/ss/forum/code/ForumHolder.php on line 648" at the beginning of each page of the CMS (running SS 2.4, and trunk Forum, by the way). I don't have access to php.ini, I'm on shared hosting. I tried setting error_reporting(0) in both mysite/_config.php and even index.php, but the warning just won't go away. What do I do?

D.K.

Community Member, 20 Posts

8 May 2010 at 6:58am

I've managed to temporarily fix it by directly hacking Core.php in sapphire to force error_reporting to 0 always, but it doesn't seem like the cleanest way to do this...

mathiasmex

Community Member, 28 Posts

7 July 2010 at 7:45am

Edited: 07/07/2010 7:51am

I face the same problem right now.
Following warning on clean 2.4 and lates forum trunk install:

Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated in /www/forum/code/ForumHolder.php on line 696.

Line 696 reads:

$this->getNewPostsAvailable(null, null, $forumID, $threadID, &$data);

If I set

$this->getNewPostsAvailable(null, null, $forumID, $threadID, $data);

(note the missing ampersand on $data), then the warning goes away. Function involved is rss().

Maybe someone could explain the reason of this ampersand ?

Thank you

Edit: this should actually be in Forum "Forum Module"...

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

7 July 2010 at 3:32pm

The function definition for getNewPostsAvailable includes the reference so it is safe to remove the ampersand in line 696.

mathiasmex

Community Member, 28 Posts

7 July 2010 at 7:41pm

Hamish,

thanks for confirmation. I appreciate the quick response.

Mathias