Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Decode JSON from a RESTful request

Go to End

2 Posts   5665 Views

ccburns

Community Member, 79 Posts

31 August 2010 at 2:32pm

Hi All,

I maybe silly doing it this way and please if you have a better suggestions I would love to hear it...

I am trying to get the Remote IP address, but the native PHP $_SERVER variable are not giving me the information that I need to work out the clients country.

Basically I am building a site for a .com.au company and they want to either tell their .co.nz customers that they should be going to the .co.nz site not the .com.au site (hope that makes sense).

So I am trying to get the users IP address but it is always coming back as 192.168.*.* etc because they are behind routers etc.

I have found a site that returns a JSON value for the IP address that has been correct each time I have tried it and a friend in NZ has also tried.

http://jsonip.appspot.com/

Anyway, I notice that http://doc.silverstripe.org/restfulservice doesn't support JSON. Is there any way for me to get this information into a variable so I can feed it into my other function that pulls back the country of the IP address...

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Colin

bummzack

Community Member, 904 Posts

31 August 2010 at 6:19pm

Not sure if this helps, but you could always use the PHP json_decode function to convert JSON encoded values into PHP objects/variables.