Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

uploading assets and load balancer

Go to End

6 Posts   3506 Views

streetdaddy

32 Posts

10 August 2010 at 8:53am

i have 6 front-end webservers behind a cisco load balancer and when I upload assets via the CMS they only seem to end up on one server. Is this a known issue with SS or should I be investigating the problem at my end first?

This is when uploading via the sidebar in the CMS. Multi-file upload in Files and Images tab doesn't work at all (gets stuck at the end of the upload)

Silverstripe 2.4.1

nb. other than this my colleagues who are now managing the content are blown away with the quality and ease of use - as are pretty much all the people I've introduced to this magical CMS!

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

10 August 2010 at 2:26pm

This is when uploading via the sidebar in the CMS. Multi-file upload in Files and Images tab doesn't work at all (gets stuck at the end of the upload)

With the assets upload not sure whats going on there. Do you get any errors uploading a single image? anything in your log file to give you a clue. I assume the permissions are fine? Not sure how good your load balancer is but maybe its sending the upload request in assets from a different webserver than the cms users on (and therefore the temp upload)? (I haven't done much with load balancers and assets before)

SS probably doesn't even know that load balancer exists, previously what I've done is have the assets folder as a share directory on one of the webservers so when uploading from the cms all the other webservers had the file as well. You could also hook up an onAfterWrite or similar to sync the file which is uploaded over all 6.

streetdaddy

32 Posts

10 August 2010 at 11:10pm

Indeed SS is not aware of the load balancer so its only uploading the image to the web server the user is currently on. I'm investigating both the shared folder and onAfterWrite possibilities, I'll let you know what I find... Unfortunately the short answer seems to be that SS is not built to handle load balancing out of the box. In other projects we've used S3 to store assets like this, but I think it will quite a lot of work to replace all the SS media storage functionality with S3... Or it might be a fun project!

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

12 August 2010 at 10:53pm

Having S3 support would be pretty kick ass. Marcus has done some work with External file connectors (http://doc.silverstripe.org/module:external-content-quickstart) not sure how easy it would be write an adapter for S3 for that (if there is not one already lurking..)

streetdaddy

32 Posts

9 October 2010 at 5:58am

after getting sidetracked for months and getting back to trying to find a solution, I've discovered Uploadify - and now I'm curious if your 'lurking' comment above was a hint!

zard

Community Member, 25 Posts

19 January 2011 at 12:41pm

I just have a supplementary question - so you have 6 front end servers connecting to a separate (single) database server?

I am currently in a process of planning a hosting for a very high traffic website and I am considering the options... How many hits does your site receive?

Thanks a lot for any answers.