Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Ideas for Silverstripe...

Go to End

7 Posts   1497 Views

biapar

Forum Moderator, 435 Posts

8 July 2010 at 7:33am

I've some ideas for SS...

1) Addon for OpenOffice or Word Integration

2) Notification by Email

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

8 July 2010 at 8:17am

There is an excel developer module that works quite well, word is a tricky beast in that you really want to us a COM object to manipulate them - which is windows only. Not technically difficult though. OpenOffice there are more optiolns, but how exactly would you use such an extension.

Re notifications - this is also easy to do, but notificantions of what?

Mo

Community Member, 541 Posts

13 July 2010 at 2:17am

Just out of curiosity, what does the excel developer actually do?

One thing I would really like to see is automated file versioning (IE, if a file is uploaded with the same name and extension as one that already exists, the new one is added as the most recent version, and the old versions can be tracked from the Asset Manger in the CMS.

Also, could you be a bit more specific as to what your additions would do? The CMSWorkflow module supports email notification when pages are published.

Mo

ajshort

Community Member, 244 Posts

13 July 2010 at 2:27am

Just FYI there's already a versioned files module - see http://github.com/ajshort/silverstripe-versionedfiles. Its pretty similar to what you described.

Mo

Community Member, 541 Posts

13 July 2010 at 2:54am

Cool, I will have to try that out :)

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

14 July 2010 at 10:16pm

The excel module just lets you read (and write, I think) to excel spreadsheets. It's not a particularly fully functioned module, but at a minimum it helps to get you started. I've used it before to allow import of data from excel spreadsheets, for example.

biapar

Forum Moderator, 435 Posts

17 July 2010 at 12:01am

Hi,

"IE, if a file is uploaded with the same name and extension as one that already exists, the new one is added as the most recent version, and the old versions can be tracked from the Asset Manger in the CMS. " ---> like be Sharepoint and Office integration.

OpenOffice Module ( like Ez Publish ) : you can upload OpenOffice/Word document and it transform into web page content.

For Notification, I mean that when an editor create or edit a new page , CMS advise other editors o chief editor for review contents or publish it.

Thank you