Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

mutliple textareas on each page

Go to End

3 Posts   1208 Views

bit99

Community Member, 24 Posts

6 July 2010 at 3:24pm

Hi,

I am new to silverstripe,
just downloaded, went through a tutorial and setup my first silverstripe site, and I really like the simplicity of silverstripe

what I am wondering is:
How do I setup more than one editable textfield on a page? or is it possible? the tutorials (that I have seen) seem to only deal with one editable region.
my first layout/template has 3 columns and it would be great to have left nav and two editable separate textfields ,

also, styling a css javascript dropdown menu to work with silverstripe, are there any good tutorials or faq on this?

thanks,

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

6 July 2010 at 6:16pm

Course you can have multiple textareas!. Each text area needs to be made a unique database fields and then a form field added to the CMS. In your case (sidebars) I think you would want to make them HTML Areas rather than plain text.

First step is add the fields to the database. Edit your $db array to something like this.. (tutorial 2 gives you an introduction to this)

static $db = array(
		"LeftBoxTxt" => "HTMLText",	
		"RightBoxTxt" => "HTMLText"
);

Second step is to add it the CMS (again this is covered in depth in tutorial 2)

function getCMSFields() {
		$fields = parent::getCMSFields();

$fields->addFieldToTab("Root.Content.Main", new HTMLEditorField("LeftBoxTxt","Left box text"));	
		$fields->addFieldToTab("Root.Content.Main", new HTMLEditorField('RightBoxTxt','Right box text'));

return $fields;
	}

After doing that rebuild your database (by visiting yoursite.com/dev/build) and now you should have 2 more editor fields in the cms which you can call in your template.

bit99

Community Member, 24 Posts

6 July 2010 at 6:23pm

thanks Willr!
thats great,