Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Configure Eclipse/PDT for Silverstripe

Go to End

15 Posts   6108 Views

CoconutDrink

Community Member, 16 Posts

2 October 2010 at 1:25am

Could someone share the steps needed to configure eclipse/PDT to recognize silverstripe API for code completion. If there
are plugin that are recommended to install. Please suggest.

Mad_Clog

Community Member, 78 Posts

2 October 2010 at 1:40am

Not using Eclipse/PDT but Zend Studio which i based upon Eclipse, but assuming the general idea is the same.
Just create a new PHP project, drop in all SS files, wait for rebuild it's workspace and presto, autocompletion/code assit works.

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

2 October 2010 at 1:47am

<mature comment>
boooooo Eclipse :)
</mature comment>

I am now over-joyed with netbeans to do the debugging and excellent fast code completion. If you've tried it before and been disappointed (I had) - I recommend try it again now... http://netbeans2.org/downloads/index.html

CoconutDrink

2 October 2010 at 2:10am

HI Mad_Clog, thanks for the reply.

I have been searching for something that provide detailed steps of setting up Eclipse as IDE for silverstripe development workflow

My search result:
a) there is no similar Silverstripe plug-in yet (a free plug-in to Eclipse for Drupal developers)
b) I am not sure if there is something similar to (e.g.Drupal coding standards)

Anyone has links to detailed steps?

(1) So that the IDE can recognize the API classes and methods for e.g. dataobject development
and
(2) what need to be configured to help writing template files (*.ss) so that it recognize the page controls specific to silverstripe

Thanks.

CoconutDrink

2 October 2010 at 2:14am

One reason why I started with Eclipse/PDT based on some feedbacks I incidentally found at Drupal's forum.

swaiba

2 October 2010 at 2:49am

I have been lost without a decent IDE for programming since I started web development a year ago, before that I used Visual Studio and no matter what folks say about microsoft Visual Studio is ACE!

In the last year I have tried code lobster, phped, ecpilse, pdt eclipse, netbeans and I'd stayed with textpad (with macros and syntax) and log files. then I tried netbeans again due to a recommendation on a post here and many people and BOOM! I've found the one, strongly recommended I've heard it mentioned the most on here for non-mac and non-unix folks.

CoconutDrink

2 October 2010 at 3:55am

What it means by
blocked out the assets and silverstripe-cache folder from the project
Can you show a picture?
I guess you can do the same thing with Eclipse, setting up the workspace.

Netbeans with a PHP flavor is the best I've found - used to be an eclipse/aptana guy. Netbeans seems to do what I need and seems "cleaner". I've enjoyed it - made a project, blocked out the assets and silverstripe-cache folder from the project - walla works great.

swaiba

2 October 2010 at 4:03am

Edited: 02/10/2010 4:05am

(sorry if you meant in eclipse, but if you didn't...)

add to the ignored folders? (see attached)

File --> Project Properties --> Ignored Folders

Attached Files
Go to Top