Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Evaluating CMS

Go to End

3 Posts   1459 Views

lolke

Community Member, 6 Posts

9 October 2010 at 10:57pm

Hi,

I had no previous experience with CMS at all before having to build my website. And unfortunately (I can say that now) I based it on brand X so to speak. On my current shortlist I have the following:

SilverStripe
Contao
MODx

Is there anyone here who has done a more extensive comparison or case study involving any of these?
This information could be really helpful. Of course your requirements may differ from mine, but nevertheless it may very well be helpful.

Some of my basic requirements (its not a full list!):
- ease of maintenance
- extensible and customizable (look and feel)
- CSS and (X)HTML valid (it is surprising to see how many fail this simple criterion)
- fast
- multi-lingual
- responsive community

Thanks a lot.
Lolke

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

10 October 2010 at 7:17pm

I have never heard of Contao, and haven't used MODx for years so I can't really help you with comparing but in terms of SS you should fine it easy to customize. The template engine is simple and straight forward so you can keep your HTML very clean compared to other CMS systems. Form field templates are the only really tricky thing to override but you have some sort of flexible with complete forms. SilverStripe also includes multilingual support and lots of the modules are already translated.

lolke

Community Member, 6 Posts

11 October 2010 at 2:53am

OK. Thanks for the info. BTW Contao (http://www.contao.org/) is a rebranding of TYPOlight, which you might know. Both SS and Contao look very promising to me.

Anyway I decided to first have a more indepth look at SS, since I had some startup problems with Contao. Generally I big neg. for Contao would be that the native language is German and most of the documentation is in German.