Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

about Modules and the extensions section.

Go to End

4 Posts   1401 Views

DsX

Community Member, 178 Posts

22 October 2010 at 9:53am

I have now been using Silverstripe for a while, and have been able to complete a number of sites using it,
and I find that along side the frameworks ability to add custom capabilities quickly, the module feature is among the most important.
Unfortunately the module listing under the extensions section of the site is in many cases out of date, and only even lists a portion of the modules available (if you really search around).

I know of projects at githhub, google code, and from developers own svn's . It would be a GREAT BENEFIT to the project to have an integrated listing of 'all' these resources, whether or not they are hosted by silverstripe.org, officially supported etc..

maybe there is space for a 3rd party site to make this a feature??

just my 2 cents.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

22 October 2010 at 5:29pm

Edited: 22/10/2010 5:29pm

The modules section allows users to submit modules from their own svn repositories and you can include github projects on the modules section. For example my Facebook Connect module which is on github is also on the modules section using svn.github.com (http://www.silverstripe.org/facebook-connect-module/).

We encourage developers to submit their modules to the extensions section but in the end it is really up to them. If you find a module which is not on the listing you should encourage them to submit it! We're trying to be quicker about reviewing.

I would like something like a jquery ui downloader so you can select what modules, what core and download it as 1 package. I think that would be helpful!

DusX

Community Member, 12 Posts

23 October 2010 at 5:50am

right you are.. :) I looked right past a number of those features..
I have noticed in the past little while that the listing has seemed to improve somewhat.. perhaps its getting updated as you mention?
Other than contacting developers and asking them to list their mods... is there anything I can do to help with the effort?
Maybe some additional testers would be helpful.
What type of review process is there?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

23 October 2010 at 10:23am

Edited: 23/10/2010 10:23am

I have noticed in the past little while that the listing has seemed to improve somewhat.. perhaps its getting updated as you mention? 

We're constantly publishing new modules to the extensions area. Backlog at any one time is at least 2 or 3 waiting to be approved.

What type of review process is there?

The review process involves someone taking a quick look at the module and then approving it. We no longer do full code reviews (who would want too). The reviewer may install the module just to check but being the code police is not something I want to do. However module maintainers are encouraged to following the guidelines.

http://doc.silverstripe.org/coding-conventions