Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Feature request for handling large number of children in sitetree

Go to End

Prot

Community Member, 3 Posts

24 October 2010 at 3:41am

Edited: 24/10/2010 3:46am

Before ranting about a little shortcoming of SS let my first say that for me SS is the best CMS I've tried so far. I think the concept of pages and dataobjects is great. And the handling of dataobjects with the DOM and the ModelAdmin is quite handy.
But at the moment I'm thinking about some projects which are a mix of 'product review' site and blog/news.
So for building possibilites for displaying, comparing und searching a great number of products in the frontend the concept of dataobject for e.g. the product specifications fits.
But to have hundreds of posts in the blog section of the sitetree isn't so comfortable. And the often proposed way of handling this with dataobject isn't so good, because you would want to have versioning, comments, categories, dataobjects and so on.

I tried some other CMS like Drupal, Wordpress and Typo3. But all of them suffer from one point or another. Especially comparing Typo3, which would come nearest to my idea, to SS, I don't see the point in learning a load of overblown CMS-specific configuration language crap. In my little experience with SS I found that you just have to known plain PHP, to get the principles of OOP and with some help from the documentation you could everything getting done in SS.

So I think it would be great to have a feature (build in the core or as a module) that controls the display of subpages, i.e. a switch in 'holder pages' to define if the subpages should be shown in the sitetree or with pagination in an extra tab in the main section. And to have the possibility to define the default sort order (creation date, alphabetical ...) would be great. To have filtering and sorting possibilites there then would be the icing on the cake.

I'm quite sure that I'm not the only one with this wish and this feature would bring SS a step closer to perfection and set you apart from other CMS. It would be great to hear if something like this is planned or maybe already worked on for one of the next releases.