Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

get file upload url for passing to js

Go to End

3 Posts   3651 Views

slavelabourer

Community Member, 26 Posts

25 October 2010 at 12:15pm

So following the execellent advice from my last thread i created some variables and passed them to some js.
I now need to pass the url of a file upload to the js.

$fields->addFieldToTab("Root.Content.Embed", new FileIFrameField('GPSXML', 'Upload and Attach Document'));

public function init() {
		parent::init();

Requirements::themedCSS("layout"); 
		Requirements::themedCSS("typography"); 
		Requirements::themedCSS("form");

Requirements::javascriptTemplate('mysite/javascript/maps.js', array( 
			'GPSXML' => $this->GPSXML.URL 
		));

}

This doesnt seem to pass anything over to the js the alert box for $GPSXML just shows blank. I'm guessing i need to parse out the url as a string? any ideas?

thx guys

timwjohn

Community Member, 98 Posts

5 November 2010 at 3:46am

Edited: 05/11/2010 3:46am

Hi,

I had the same problem as you. By inspecting the Requirements::javascriptTemplate() method I found that you do need to encapsulate the replaceable variable name with quotes. Due to the way the variable is replaced, I would also recommend referencing it only once, and assigning it to a 'real' javascript variable, like so:

PHP:

Requirements::javascriptTemplate('script.js', array(
			"vimeoID" => $this->vimeoID()
		));

script.js:

var vimeoID = '$vimeoID';

The Requirements::javascriptTemplate() method is a little used and little documented feature, but a handy one nonetheless. I hope this helps those trying to use it in the future...

slavelabourer

Community Member, 26 Posts

7 November 2010 at 4:43pm

Edited: 07/11/2010 4:52pm

this worked for getting the value of vimeoID because it was just a text field. Here i want to pass the url of the filefieldupload.

it actually works fine if i create a text field and have the user manually enter the url but it would be much better if i could get the url straight from the file upload.

thanks heaps for all your help so far.