Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Duplicate entire website into new language!

Go to End

12 Posts   3448 Views

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

12 November 2010 at 1:02am

Fantastic!

Just to confirm this duplicates the pages into the new locale, but not the content.

how about adding the google diacritize? and then sites can be basically translated without any effort!

Zauberfisch

Community Member, 30 Posts

12 November 2010 at 1:37am

yes, of course, silverstripe does not translate the text

the createTranslation method just duplicates the site (with the content in the already existing language) and saves it with a new id and a new url (eg: if it was /home/ and you do a createTranslation from de_DE to en_US it then will be /home-en-US/)

(its the same as if you go to the translation tab in your cms, and press the button to create the site on another page.)

also its good to use the createTranslation method, because it is the one that is from the multilanguage module, and will automatically creates a relation between the pages

so for example, we have mysite.com ( = mysite.com/home )

if I want to switch the language you can do that by adding ?locale=en_US

mysite.com/ => will show you: mysite.com/home
mysite.com/?locale=de_DE => will show you: mysite.com/home
mysite.com/?locale=en_US => will show you: mysite.com/home-en-US (or what ever url your en-us homepage has)

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

12 November 2010 at 2:16am

Yep, I was just clarifying for the folks reading the thread...

I am extremely interested to duplicate the text, chrome of course does it for me automatically and those with google tool bars I guess it may do it too, but it would be create to have a site that didn't need JavaScript and would just create the it out of the box. Anyone got JavaScript translations working?

Zauberfisch

Community Member, 30 Posts

12 November 2010 at 3:34am

//fixed 2 typos in the code im my first post

just looked it up, google translate seems to have a api, indeed, that would be cool to integrate something like that ;)

Go to Top