Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Performance - what can we do?

Go to End

4 Posts   2041 Views

wayne

Community Member, 14 Posts

4 February 2011 at 12:29am

Hi,

we have SS running our main website. Looking at Google webmaster tools are page load times are not very good (average 1.4 secs). I've used to YSlow to optimize the pages as best as possible.

Is there anything I can do to speed this up.? I *had* a lot of pages on the site, and just recently deleted many many pages. However I notice that SS still keeps this around in the database as you can view deleted files in the admin area.

Would removing/deleting these pages from the DB speed up the queries and hence page load time?
It takes about 350 ms before we start to get a response from the server (a quad core dedicated box, with nothing else running on it).

Any suggestions/ideas to what we could do?

thanks
Wayne

ajshort

Community Member, 244 Posts

4 February 2011 at 12:56am

Hey,

The first thing I would do is grab the site onto my local machine, and profile it uses XDebug or XHProf or similar, try to get an idea of where a bottleneck could be. Sometimes some methods aren't cached properly, or are called a lot and can cause massive slowdowns, and can be easy fixes. If you want to run a profile on your server you can use ?debug_profile=1 (logged in as an admin or in dev mode).

The biggest performance win you can do is statically cache your site using the static publisher, which saves either your whole or parts of your site to plain files. Obviously, this makes your site incredibly fast. If your site is too dynamic to make that an option I would recommend identifying bottlenecks, fixing them, and using partial caching wherever you can to cache intensive parts of the page (http://doc.silverstripe.org/sapphire/en/reference/partial-caching).

wayne

Community Member, 14 Posts

4 February 2011 at 1:47am

Hi,

great response thanks. I wasn't even aware of the static caching in SS. You've given me a lot to look at.

thanks!

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

4 February 2011 at 3:21pm

As ajshort mentioned - using the built in debug_profile=1 is a great quick way of seeing the bottle necks. It's not as accurate as xdebug or xhprof but for a quick check it can lead you into the easy wins.

Ajshort - what do you prefer using for profiling xdebug or xhprof. I personally have used xhprof more but was thinking about setting up xdebug.