Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Suspected redirection error

Go to End

2 Posts   4322 Views

Liquid

Community Member, 2 Posts

6 March 2011 at 12:05am

Greetings all.

I'm currently in the process of trying to migrate a domain hosted on a VPS from Apache to Nginx because the current setup of SilverStripe on Apache is causing - at the very least to say - severe performance issues. Needless to say the VPS is very limited on resources.
Although I've encountered and tackled several obstacles up to this point already and overall it's starting to look like something SilverStripe still doesn't seem to be running entirely as it should.

I believe there may still be a problem with the redirection that if solved would take away most any of the errors I'm encountering at the moment.
For instance when I navigate to files and images and then bring up the upload tab it load the 404 page.
If I try to expand the uploads folder in the tree list I get "error loading subtree" at the bottom.
Under pages if I view the page version history bit for example I also get a 404 and an error reading "error getting side panel".

The log then looks as follows:

84.26.xxx.xxx - - [05/Mar/2011:11:55:35 +0100] 404 "GET /admin/assets/uploadiframe/0 HTTP/1.1" 2074 "http://www.mydomain.com/admin/assets/" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9.2.15) Gecko/20110303 Firefox/3.6.15 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729)" "-"
84.26.xxx.xxx - - [05/Mar/2011:11:55:59 +0100] 404 "POST /admin/assets/getsubtree?ajax=1&ID=1 HTTP/1.1" 2074 "http://www.mydomain.com/admin/assets/" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9.2.15) Gecko/20110303 Firefox/3.6.15 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729)" "-"
84.26.xxx.xxx - - [05/Mar/2011:11:56:26 +0100] 404 "GET /admin/EditorToolbar/ImageForm?action_callfieldmethod=1&fieldName=FolderImages&ajax=1&methodName=getimages&folderID=&searchText=&cacheKillerDate=1299322592452&cacheKillerRand=271 HTTP/1.1" 2074 "http://www.mydomain.com/admin/" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9.2.15) Gecko/20110303 Firefox/3.6.15 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729)" "-"
84.26.xxx.xxx - - [05/Mar/2011:11:56:31 +0100] 404 "POST /admin/cms/versions/1?ajax=1&unpublished=0 HTTP/1.1" 2074 "http://www.mydomain.com/admin/" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9.2.15) Gecko/20110303 Firefox/3.6.15 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729)" "-"

Something like just browsing pages in the CMS and accessing their various tabs to edit them / change their meta-data / configuration / etc does work fine however.

Perhaps anyone could shed some light on what the pages generating the 404s have in common that could be causing this?

Thanks in advance.

Liquid

Community Member, 2 Posts

6 March 2011 at 11:28am

Ok, I've worked it out. I'll type out the cause and solution here for reference in case anyone else ever runs into it.

With some debugging I traced the issue back to lines 141-149 of sapphire/core/Core.php (this is in SilverStripe version 2.4.5) on the PHP side of things.
These lines contain the following code:

// Determine the base URL by comparing SCRIPT_NAME to SCRIPT_FILENAME and getting the common
	// elements
	if(substr($_SERVER['SCRIPT_FILENAME'],0,strlen(BASE_PATH)) == BASE_PATH) {
		$urlSegmentToRemove = substr($_SERVER['SCRIPT_FILENAME'],strlen(BASE_PATH));
		if(substr($_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME'],-strlen($urlSegmentToRemove)) == $urlSegmentToRemove) {
			$baseURL = substr($_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME'], 0, -strlen($urlSegmentToRemove));
			define('BASE_URL', rtrim($baseURL, DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR));
		} 
	}

Turns out SCRIPT_FILENAME and SCRIPT_NAME had the following values:

• SCRIPT_FILENAME - /var/www/vhosts/mydomain.com/httpdocs/sapphire/main.php
  • SCRIPT_NAME - /admin/cms/versions/1

My first thought was hurray I found it, but it took but a second to realize that wasn't quite the case.
You should in fact be able to establish what the base url is with knowledge of SCRIPT_FILENAME and SCRIPT_NAME.
Nothing wrong with that - what's wrong is the data. More specifically the value of SCRIPT_NAME in this case.

Taken from RFC3875 - The Common Gateway Interface (CGI) Version 1.1 - section 3.3:

The server

1. MAY preserve the URI in the particular client request; or

2. it MAY select a canonical URI from the set of possible values
         for each script; or

3. it can implement any other selection of URI from the set.

From the meta-variables thus generated, a URI, the 'Script-URI', can
   be constructed.  This MUST have the property that if the client had
   accessed this URI instead, then the script would have been executed
   with the same values for the SCRIPT_NAME, PATH_INFO and QUERY_STRING
   meta-variables.

Thus it would be a good idea to make sure my webserver starts filling in the right value for SCRIPT_NAME to avoid any more issues like this one.
As such the next question is raised: why doesn't SCRIPT_NAME have the right value?

The answer to this is simple. How it originated however is less clear on the surface, so let's look at it step by step.

Nginx uses an event based architecture. Put simply: it's asynchonous, whereas Apache is not and nor is PHP.
The fact PHP isn't asynchronous whilst Nginx is means PHP can't be embedded the way it is as an Apache module on the vast majority of webservers out there.
Therefore PHP needs to run separately and Nginx needs to communicate to it by some means. This is usually done using FastCGI.
Why does this all matter? Well, it means we as network administrators or software developers or whatever we all are need to pay a little more attention to the communication between the webserver and PHP when we're using Nginx. We need to make sure all the parameters are right for PHP to work correctly, because Nginx sure as hell isn't gonna do it for us.

Let's make it a little less abstract. This is what we need to make happen:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
	SetEnv HTTP_MOD_REWRITE On
	RewriteEngine On

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^(.*)$
	RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
	RewriteRule .* sapphire/main.php?url=%1&%{QUERY_STRING} [L]
</IfModule>

What you see here is the Apache rewrite rule taken from the [SilverStripe root]/.htaccess file.

The SilverStripe documentation has a suggestion on how to get this done in the Nginx configuration:

if (!-f $request_filename) {
                rewrite ^/(.*?)(\?|$)(.*)$ /sapphire/main.php?url=$1&$3 last;
        }

location ~ \.php$ {
                fastcgi_pass   127.0.0.1:9000;
                fastcgi_index  index.php;
                fastcgi_param  SCRIPT_FILENAME  /home/yoursite.com/httpdocs$fastcgi_script_name;
                include fastcgi_params;
        }

Yeah.... I don't know when that page was last edited but I hope it was a long time ago, because in the current version of Nginx that is very, very inefficient.
It does work, but the most reasonable thing that gets close which does essentially the same using the same directives and a lot less CPU cycles is the following:

nginx.conf

if (!-f $request_filename) {
      rewrite ^ /sapphire/main.php?url=$uri&$args last;
    }

location ~ \.php$ {
      include fastcgi.conf;
      fastcgi_pass 127.0.0.1:9000;
    }

fastcgi.conf

fastcgi_param  SCRIPT_FILENAME    $document_root$fastcgi_script_name;
fastcgi_param  QUERY_STRING       $query_string;
fastcgi_param  REQUEST_METHOD     $request_method;
fastcgi_param  CONTENT_TYPE       $content_type;
fastcgi_param  CONTENT_LENGTH     $content_length;

fastcgi_param  SCRIPT_NAME        $fastcgi_script_name;
fastcgi_param  REQUEST_URI        $request_uri;
fastcgi_param  DOCUMENT_URI       $document_uri;
fastcgi_param  DOCUMENT_ROOT      $document_root;
fastcgi_param  SERVER_PROTOCOL    $server_protocol;

fastcgi_param  GATEWAY_INTERFACE  CGI/1.1;
fastcgi_param  SERVER_SOFTWARE    nginx/$nginx_version;

fastcgi_param  REMOTE_ADDR        $remote_addr;
fastcgi_param  REMOTE_PORT        $remote_port;
fastcgi_param  SERVER_ADDR        $server_addr;
fastcgi_param  SERVER_PORT        $server_port;
fastcgi_param  SERVER_NAME        $server_name;

# PHP only, required if PHP was built with --enable-force-cgi-redirect
fastcgi_param  REDIRECT_STATUS    200;

Still this is stone age stuff though, given the fact we're using an if-statement.
When you're using Nginx you don't generally do that 'for comfort'. Most people won't settle just for the 'base gain' of migrating to Nginx in the first place.
Once you've gotten to the point you want to arm your servers with the weapon of mass page delivery that is Nginx you tend to take a moment for all those minor performance tweaks that keep adding up in your benefit as well.
We move on...

On December the 15th, 2008, Nginx 0.7.27 was released and introduced a new directive: try_files. That day an unmeasurable amount of documentation spread across the internet explaining just how to do this very thing became trash.
Due to the specific implementation of try_files in Nginx it was and is a much more efficient alternative to do what many if-statements were used for to do before.
As such the next logical step became the following:

location / {
      try_files $uri @sapphire_delegate;
    }

location @sapphire_delegate {
      rewrite ^ /sapphire/main.php?url=$uri&$args last;
    }

location ~ \.php$ {
      include fastcgi.conf;
    }

So far all given methods do work.

But then there's one more substantial optimization we can make here. The page on Nginx in the SilverStripe documentation also links to a page on the Nginx wiki containing an example of how to configure for SilverStripe.
This optimization has been applied in that example, but faulty - basically the way I did it first earlier.

The rewrite can be ditched. Why should we perform a whole other internal rewrite that isn't necessary and then match the new url to another location block which isn't necessary either if we can avoid both? Let's not.
And this is where the error sneaks in....

location / {
    }

include fastcgi.conf;
      fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME $document_root/sapphire/main.php;
      fastcgi_param QUERY_STRING url=$uri&$args;
    }

What makes this a lot more efficient than the previous example is the fact that as soon as we've passed the request to what I'll call the SilverStripe / Sapphire handler location block for not pointing to an existing file we're stuffing it in the pipeline destined for PHP.
In this case there's no time being wasted anymore internally rewriting the url and / or matching to another location block to detect it needs to be handled as PHP.
However, because we are not rewriting the url neither Nginx nor PHP has a clue what in the world kind of file we were thinking about executing in the first place. As a result the explicit definition of SCRIPT_FILENAME you see here was put in to fill the gap the rewrite left... and nothing else...
SCRIPT_FILENAME in this case was merely meant to tell PHP what script to execute and it does that - it does it just fine.
Though now the issue remains SCRIPT_NAME is still out of sync and therefore that should be definined explicitly as well.

Thus today the day in 2011 the au courant method of configuring Nginx for serving SilverStripe CMS is the following:

nginx.conf

location / {
    }

include fastcgi.conf;
      fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME $document_root/sapphire/main.php;
      fastcgi_param SCRIPT_NAME /sapphire/main.php;
      fastcgi_param QUERY_STRING url=$uri&$args;
    }

fastcgi.conf

fastcgi_param  SCRIPT_FILENAME    $document_root$fastcgi_script_name;
fastcgi_param  QUERY_STRING       $query_string;
fastcgi_param  REQUEST_METHOD     $request_method;
fastcgi_param  CONTENT_TYPE       $content_type;
fastcgi_param  CONTENT_LENGTH     $content_length;

fastcgi_param  SCRIPT_NAME        $fastcgi_script_name;
fastcgi_param  REQUEST_URI        $request_uri;
fastcgi_param  DOCUMENT_URI       $document_uri;
fastcgi_param  DOCUMENT_ROOT      $document_root;
fastcgi_param  SERVER_PROTOCOL    $server_protocol;

fastcgi_param  GATEWAY_INTERFACE  CGI/1.1;
fastcgi_param  SERVER_SOFTWARE    nginx/$nginx_version;

fastcgi_param  REMOTE_ADDR        $remote_addr;
fastcgi_param  REMOTE_PORT        $remote_port;
fastcgi_param  SERVER_ADDR        $server_addr;
fastcgi_param  SERVER_PORT        $server_port;
fastcgi_param  SERVER_NAME        $server_name;

# PHP only, required if PHP was built with --enable-force-cgi-redirect
fastcgi_param  REDIRECT_STATUS    200;

# Fix for "upstream sent too big header while reading response header from upstream" errors
# These errors were encountered here on standard operation of SilverStripe CMS
fastcgi_connect_timeout         60;
fastcgi_send_timeout            180;
fastcgi_read_timeout            180;
fastcgi_buffer_size             128k;
fastcgi_buffers                 4 256k;
fastcgi_busy_buffers_size       256k;
fastcgi_temp_file_write_size    256k;
fastcgi_intercept_errors        on;