Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

[Solved] Piston, GIT etc etc

Go to End

5 Posts   1199 Views

Mo

Community Member, 541 Posts

25 March 2011 at 3:09am

Ok, given that everything is moving to git, I have decided to take the plunge and see what all the fuss is about. Was all going ok, until I started to try getting an Silverstripe SVN project converted to using piston to manage externals.

No matter what I do, I just get the same errors, looks like they are from piston itself. Could someone who is using this successfully just post an install guide or something? I have tried this on 3 systems (mac/ubuntu and win 7) all with the same result.

Currently, what I do:
Install Ruby
Install Piston "gem install piston"
cd to my working copy and then try to do a "piston convert"

Then it fails.

Is this what I am supposed to be doing? If so, what version of Ruby/Piston are you using?

Any help appreciated, I think my brain is starting to leak!

Mo

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

25 March 2011 at 5:03pm

Haven't tried piston convert before, the safest option for core at least will be to remove the folders then reimport using piston import.

Mo

25 March 2011 at 8:54pm

Thanks for the response Willr, so are you saying:

1. Checkout current project
2. Remove svn:externals
3. Use piston import for each external source
4. Check project back in

I guess you could use git-svn with this as well?

Mo

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

26 March 2011 at 4:46pm

Yes thats roughly the safest way to do it. Not sure regarding git-svn. I used git-svn mainly for pulling svn repos into git projects, you of course will need it to do the converse of that.

Mo

26 March 2011 at 11:14pm

Cool, it all seems to be working so far. I was mentioning git-svn because I need it to do exactly that :-).

Still quite new to git so I am just finding my way around. already quite impressed with the performance improvements!