Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

3.0: upgrade or 'from the scratch'?

Go to End

10 Posts   3699 Views

gour

Community Member, 22 Posts

25 March 2011 at 7:07am

Edited: 25/03/2011 9:08am

I definitely decided that SilverStripe will be platform four all our web needs in the future. However, considering that we are pondering over using SilverStripe for kind of CRM application to be tied to our web site (see thread) and since we are completely new with SilverStripe, the question is whether it would be better to wait for 3.0 or start with the 2.4?

The main consideration is how much is 3.0 kind of 'upgrade' to 2.4 or one would have to practically re-learn almost everything what was/is valid for 2.4 development?

Any hint?

(deleted)

Community Member, 473 Posts

25 March 2011 at 7:50am

If you do wait, you'll be waiting for a rather long time.

IIRC, the SilverStripe team will be trying to keep 3.0 as backwards compatible with 2.4 as possible.

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

25 March 2011 at 8:27am

Ingo answers this as Simon describes - right here http://vimeo.com/20075840

gour

25 March 2011 at 7:03pm

Edited: 25/03/2011 7:04pm

[If you do wait, you'll be waiting for a rather long time.

You don't believe SS-3.0 will be done this year?

IIRC, the SilverStripe team will be trying to keep 3.0 as backwards compatible with 2.4 as possible.

Hey, that's just what we need/want to hear. :-)

gour

25 March 2011 at 7:05pm

Edited: 25/03/2011 7:06pm

Ingo answers this as Simon describes - right here..

Thanks a lot. I went through slides several times, but it was not mentioned anywhere. I'm going to watch video today to be sure. :-)

(deleted)

Community Member, 473 Posts

25 March 2011 at 7:06pm

You don't believe SS-3.0 will be done this year?

I don't believe 3.0 will be out until rather late this year or early next year. There is a lot of work to do for it.

gour

25 March 2011 at 7:10pm

I don't believe 3.0 will be out until rather late this year or early next year. There is a lot of work to do for it.

Well, if 2.4 --> 3.0 won't be so steep, we don't have anything to lose to jump to SS as soon as possible...I'll buy 'official' book a well. :-)

Ingo

Forum Moderator, 801 Posts

17 April 2011 at 10:18pm

Hey gour - we'll keep the upgrade path in mind, definitely. There'll be an upgrade guide, and I've just been talking with Sam about a static code checker which you can run on your existing codebase and detect deprecated/removed APIs. That'll be something for a community project, most likely - but I think will help immensely with the upgrade process.

Go to Top