Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Update silverstripe site via mobile phone

Go to End

11 Posts   3690 Views

zim

Community Member, 135 Posts

25 March 2011 at 10:59am

I have done a few silvertripe sites.

I now have this question.

on a silverstripe site i am doing, concerning dancers, they are asking if it is going to be possible to update the the site via mobile phone. eg for the dancers themselves to update their blog, and news, sections via their mobile phones.

so for instance if they are at a gig, and do a little video, or take some photos, will they be able to upload them, add new blog post etc via their mobile phone? via cms?

I have just tried to access the site CMS via android phone, HTC, and some bits of cms are working but other bits, specifically the nested menu on left of CMS, is not functioning properly.

Can anyone advise if this is possible?

thanks

zim

25 March 2011 at 11:22am

I have just seen the SilverStripe Mobile module.. so i will check this out and see if it is what i need.

basically i want the main site to look normal in browser but be able to update via mobile phone. i am hoping this is just what i need. i will let upu know

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

25 March 2011 at 4:53pm

The mobile module does not provide a mobile CMS. The CMS itself hasn't been supported by mobile devices, this is potentially a good place for a module if anyone wants to take it on!

zim

25 March 2011 at 11:21pm

Thanks for response.

that's a shame, as i really need this functionality. I wonder, do you have any idea of the complexity of doing such a module... i do have some experience with PHP. but am by no measns an expert.

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

26 March 2011 at 4:12am

Hey Zim,

Form what I can gather customisation of the CMS to allow mobile is something I'd wait for SS3.0 to do - Instead I'd focus on achieving...

do a little video, or take some photos, will they be able to upload them, add new blog post etc via their mobile phone

with forms on pages that users have to be logged in to view - uploading stuff may be best with an android phone as you can use flash - but blog posts should be straight forward no matter what. Just to let you know I'd also suggest using an external too for blogging and to RSS in the feed - using something like blogger and this would give you complete control to blog with photos/videos from your phone without doing more that reading the RSS feed to display...

zim

26 March 2011 at 6:02am

Hey Swaiba,

thanks for response.

what you say sounds great.. i will investigate properly later. as i am unsure on a couple of your points of advice.

do i need to turn on forms on pages?

So can i put the option to post new blog on an individual blog entry page? at the moment it just has the two options
Edit this post | Unpublish this post

what do you mean when you say

"Just to let you know I'd also suggest using an external too for blogging and to RSS in the feed - using something like blogger and this would give you complete control to blog with photos/videos from your phone without doing more that reading the RSS feed to display..."

By the way when is SS3.0 released?

Thanks very much for your advice.

zim

26 March 2011 at 6:10am

ahh yes i see there is a blog management section. Cool i will look into this. and let you know how i get on.

thanks

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

26 March 2011 at 6:12am

Edited: 26/03/2011 6:13am

do i need to turn on forms on pages?

no, you can create a page type of it's own and it's own layout template - include the form in there

what do you mean when you say

goto blogger.com signup and then use RSS reader (like SimplePie) to get that info and show it on the site. Or just link to the blogger site. I stopped using the blog module - 1) I disagree with it's inclusion of each blog post in the site tree 2) modifications as you describe (i.e. blog picture from phone) are things clients ask for - so instead I integrate the best blog tool and then it means zero-dev time :)

By the way when is SS3.0 released?

Ingo says alpha is mid-2011 and stable end-2011

Go to Top