Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Image sliders on demand?

Go to End

4 Posts   1672 Views

Community Member, 11 Posts

8 April 2011 at 9:26am

i am new at SS, so please excuse any stupid questions.
So far i am very impressed what can be achieved with SilverStripe.
I am struggeling to find a proper solution how to place jQuery image sliders in various page types, without building seperate page types.

Along with that, i saw some very useful modules (DataObjectManager, Uploadify, ImageGallery etc..) which allow users to build a dedicated "gallery page"

However, this is not what i am looking for.

I would like to "embeed" sliders in any page type i want to... by giving the user the ability to use these easy image upload and manipulation modules.

Could you please point me to a proper approach?
This would probably also help me to understand how fields & sections of other pages can be displayed on others.

8 April 2011 at 10:05am

well, yes.. the search function did bring me closer.
Is it something lie this?

Basiclly i need to have 9 different sliders placed in my project.

Maybe a bit closer explaination:
I have a hotel chain with 8 different properties, each will have its own section with sub-pages

So, i will need to include a slider on:

index (home)
Hotel 1
Hotel 2
Hotel 3
Hotel 8

My problem here is that i am planning to have only 2 page types
1 x index (home) & 1 x hotel index (home)

but images to each sliders will be different.

My idea was that i provide user the ability to create 8 "gallery pages" (hidden from public) with the gallery module and then having this content pulled into each hotel section, where the slider should be nested.

Forum Moderator, 1307 Posts

8 April 2011 at 9:29pm

Edited: 08/04/2011 9:39pm

A flexible way could be something like this: create a simple 'Slide' DataObject that holds the necessary data for each slide. Then create a MySlider SiteTree Decorator that has_many Slide objects and a ComplexTableField (or DataObjectManager) to add slides.

You can now add the Decorator to any PageType you like. You might want to create a 'MySlider_Controller' decorator for the Page_controller as well to show slides based on the type of Slider you implement

13 April 2011 at 7:43am

Hi martimiz,

thank you for your post.
Very close to my needs, will study this approach closer.