Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

css vs php to resize image as percent rather than pixels

Go to End

2 Posts   1803 Views

honeybunny

Community Member, 79 Posts

28 June 2011 at 2:01am

The only way I know to make an image re-size with the window is to use percent rather than pixels when setting the image size, but the default in the SS editor is pixels. Assigning a class to img in the css so that whenever the class is called the image size will be a set percentage will work, but I'm not sure if this is best approach. Am I being lazy and choosing the easiest option or should I be looking to set a default in the php?

In my mind php should be used to define the foundation or structure of the site rather than the styling, yet it can be easily used to output content to a set style. (font color is the first example that comes to mind, though I would imagine it wouldn't be hard to set an image size) Is one better than the other or am I just thinking like a designer rather than a developer?

HB

zenmonkey

Community Member, 545 Posts

28 June 2011 at 8:32am

Take a look at media queries, because you could have SS build out the various sizes for your image and have the template load them correct sized one based on media queries