Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Installing modules - where is /db/ ?

Go to End

6 Posts   792 Views

Gzornenplat

Community Member, 3 Posts

29 September 2011 at 12:05pm

Apologies if I should be able to work this out, but I haven't managed to so far :-(

The only hints at how to install modules all say to visit http://mysite.com/db/build?flush=1, but there is no /db/ directory.

Is there some new way to do this?

Or is there some docs somewhere?

Thanks,

Ian

JonoM

Community Member, 130 Posts

29 September 2011 at 1:07pm

Hi Ian,

I think that might be the old format - try http://mysite.com/dev/build?flush=all

If you go to ttp://mysite.com/dev/ 'building' is one of a number of tools available there though that is probably the most important one

Cheers

Gzornenplat

29 September 2011 at 1:42pm

Hi JonoM,

Thanks for that quick reply - I'd come across that, too - problem is, I don't have /dev/ either. At least, there is one in the sapphire directory, but I don't think you mean that, do you?

Surely there must be some documentation that says what to do.

If I put a module in the root, then I get an error trying to fire up admin.

I've downloaded quite a few modules to look at the readmes, but

Installation Instructions
-----------------------------------------------
1. Find out how to add modules to SS and add module as per usual.

etc, doesn't help a lot :-)

Thanks,

Ian

JonoM

Community Member, 130 Posts

29 September 2011 at 2:29pm

You'll need URL rewriting up and running to access mysite.com/dev. It sounds like maybe you don't have that active - You could try http://mysite.com/index.php/dev/build?flush=all as a workaround

Howard

Community Member, 215 Posts

29 September 2011 at 2:35pm

Hi Ian - welcome to SilverStripe.

Installing modules is pretty easy once you know how to do it - but as with all things until you know how then it appears complicated.

The steps are:
- download the module and place it in the root directory of your site (alongside cms, sapphire, mysite, assets etc..)
- then visit www.yoursite.com/dev/build, this will run a script that will update the database with all the details needed for the new module
- some module also require you to add bits to your mysite/_config.php file but these should say in the Readme filel

I realise there isn't a 'dev' folder in your sites directory but in this case it is recognised as a special command by SilverStripe to run the script. This works in a similar way as each page that you create in your site doesn't actually create a 'contact-us.html' page in your sites folder.

Until you have run /dev/build accessing the admin will cause an error as it it trying to load the modules code but the database doesn't contain everything it needs.

Does this make sense? Let us know if you need any other help.

Howard

Gzornenplat

29 September 2011 at 2:55pm

Hi,

Thanks for all your help, I've got it working now :-)

The problem was that I'm not running Apache but Abyss and I don't think mod_rewrite is completely compatible - it has worked for everything else, but there must be something different in this case. JonoM's workaround has got me going again!

Thanks again,

Ian