Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Big scale cms system (geo-distribution)

Go to End

3 Posts   938 Views

audunfr

Community Member, 2 Posts

11 November 2011 at 2:48am

Edited: 11/11/2011 2:50am

Hello.

I am team leader for a big project that we are going to build and i have been looking at SilverStripe for this purpose.
We need a CMS system that is small and easy to extend and modify and I think SilverStripe is just that.
Also I have heard that the community is awesome and that’s a huge deal when choosing a CMS system.
--- What are we making ----
We are creating a dynamic "presentation framework" that is going to be template driven.
We are going to have different content types, most likely category and presentation.
Presentation is going to be a user chosen template witch has multiple sub presentation that can be navigated to from the main presentation. It’s going to rely heavily on video (animations), images and PDF Documents.
All presentation must be able to be zipped to a downloadable packable that can be used anywhere without a server (clean html, css and js). It needs to be compatible with all tablets (ipad, Playbook and Android) and phones (mostly iphone).
--- Security -----
All access rights need to be controlled by IIS and is going to use Windows Authentication.
We also need to control access by AD Groups.
--- Network -----
This is actually my question.
Like the network is today you can’t just have one server. We need one server internally and one externally (in DMZ).
The external server is just a blank server with IIS installed. It forwards all web traffic thru proxy (https) and to the internal server.
Now the question... We need to have this setup on multiple locations in the world, most likely USA, Europe, Asia and South America.
All these locations need to be identical, so if you create a new page in USA it will be available almost instantly in Asia, Europe and South America.
Is this something that has ever been done with SilverStripe or does anyone know where to start reading?
It was also a wish to have only one domain and ARR (Application Request Rerouting) could pick the closest location.
The reason I found SilverStripe a candidate is because it’s not bloated like many other CMS systems and easy to extend (hopefully).
Thanks and I hope someone have time to read this.
Regards
Audun

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

11 November 2011 at 8:36am

Hi Audun,

Welcome to the forums... Hopefully the community will live up to the reputation!

I think you might need the static publisher - if i understand correctly - one protected site for CMS and then publish content to different (less secure) servers.

Barry

audunfr

Community Member, 2 Posts

11 November 2011 at 9:22am

Hi and thanks for replying swaiba.

Will this allow users to publish and edit content from all locational servers or must one of the server act as a master and all other slaves (read only)?

Thanks

Regards
Audun