Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Email authentification with SS Mail functionality

Go to End

3 Posts   875 Views

Pix

Community Member, 158 Posts

1 December 2011 at 6:58pm

Does anyone know how do I set up the required authentification so that I don't annoying warnings in gMail that read:

This message may not have been sent by: whoever@gmail.com

I'm using the mail functionality of SS as outlined here:
http://doc.silverstripe.org/sapphire/en/topics/email

I've made a simple little "share this" function that send a custom HTML e-mail from my page, and I am using the sender's email as the $from. It works great, but in testing I see that warning in gMail and it really bugs! Has anyone else run into this, is there a solution?

Thank you!

danzzz

Community Member, 175 Posts

1 December 2011 at 11:26pm

so the Gmail Interface display a warning that the mail may is not sent by the real owner of the from adress?

If so, for me thats a great service of gmail :-) and I think you cant avoid that.

Pix

Community Member, 158 Posts

2 December 2011 at 6:35am

Right, it's a fairly new feature but it is actually an annoyance to a lot of people. Say for instance you have an ecard service and you want to have the sender as the "from" address. It even is affecting mailing list subscribers who get messages to my gmail account, sent from other gmail users through a mailing list, they get the “message may have not been sent by” alert even when the mailing list is a google groups-hosted group. Apparently there is a way to set up an SPF record (no idea what that is) so your message will be displayed as "sender@gmail.com via yourdomain.com." and avoid the annoying message.