Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Different Forms using one template depending on URL action

Go to End

3 Posts   992 Views

copernican

Community Member, 189 Posts

27 January 2012 at 7:57am

Hi,

I'm currently working on a project that involves a lot of different forms that are shown in a modal box. For each form I want to show I am using the renderWith() function to show a different template. This is resulting in me having to create a lot of templates that only have a $FormFunction variable on them.

Is there a way I can use one template that will somehow load the form I want to use?

MarcusDalgren

Community Member, 288 Posts

27 January 2012 at 10:09am

If you don't need different templates then why are you using different templates? Is it because the name of the $FormFunction differs? If so you should be able to setup a function that returns $FormFunction->forTemplate() which is what happens when $FormFunction is called in the template. Either that or some other kind of intermediary function that decides what form to render without setting a different template.

copernican

Community Member, 189 Posts

28 January 2012 at 3:12am

yes, its because the $FormFunction differs for each form i want to show.

This is where I'm stuck though, I can't figure out how to setup the intermediary function, at least easily.

//using url_variables to call this function when a certain action is used
        public function showCustomFormA(){
		return $this->renderWith(array('FormPopup', 'Popup'));
	}

//using url_variables to call this function when a certain action is used
        public function showCustomFormB(){
		return $this->renderWith(array('FormPopup', 'Popup'));
	}

// want to use this to return my desired form
	public function FormForPopup(){

}

public function CustomFormA(){
               ...form code...
               return $form; 
        }

public function CustomFormB(){
               ...form code...
               return $form; 
        }

and my FormPopup.ss template would just have

$FormForPopup

How can I get FormForPopup() to return my form without using a bunch of if or switch statements that check which action is being used? This is probably simple but i'm unsure of how to best approach it. perhaps my approach so far is completely wrong.