Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

EN GB Spell-checker option?

Go to End

2 Posts   1814 Views

Spaghetti

Community Member, 32 Posts

9 February 2012 at 6:03am

Hello,

I'm trying out SilverStripe CMS and I'm struggling with one issue. When I installed SS on WAMP, I selected English (United Kingdom), so I was surprised to see that the spell checker defaulted to US English. I was even more surprised to see that it was the only option of the drop down list in the page editor.

Having searched google and this forum, I found a hack to edit the config file so that UK English is the option in the drop down but this is all accademic anyway as the spell-checker seems to crash when I click on the link in both Chrome and Firefox.

I notice that this forums edit box has a decent spell-checker and that it's even UK English (if you register as EN UK). So why can't Silver-stripe spell-checker work as well as the Silver Stripe forum edit box?

This is a major bummer for me because being able to spell check your work is half of the benefit of using a CMS, IMHO. Hey ho.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to fix this? Welcome....

dio5

Community Member, 501 Posts

20 June 2012 at 9:16pm

For what it's worth now that SS3.0 is coming out...

The issue is in CMSMain.php. around line 97:

$langName = i18n::get_locale_name($this->Locale);
HtmlEditorConfig::get('cms')->setOption('spellchecker_languages', "+{$langName}={$this->Locale}");

You need to change it into:

$langName = i18n::get_locale_name($this->Locale);
$langCode = i18n::get_lang_from_locale($this->Locale);
HtmlEditorConfig::get('cms')->setOption('spellchecker_languages', "+{$langName}={$langCode}");

The google spellchecker won't work if it sends the lang as nl_NL or en_GB... it does when it's nl or en....