Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Rendering with default template?

Go to End

3 Posts   1414 Views

k0m0r

Community Member, 39 Posts

15 February 2012 at 6:43am

Edited: 15/02/2012 6:43am

Hi.
How do I render a page on demand with its default template?
My code is:

public function onAfterWrite() {
parent::onAfterWrite();
$render = $this->renderWith(array($this->ClassName,'Page')));
}

Saving the page gives me the following error:

500//ERROR [User Warning]: None of these templates can be found in theme '': MainPage.ss, Page.ss IN POST /admin/EditForm Line 207 in /var/www/vhosts/orange.czterystacztery.pl/htdocs/sapphire/core/SSViewer.php

As you can see, current theme name variable is surprisingly empty, although I use set_current_theme() in config.php

All I need to do is export my page into a static file. But I am unable to get its published content.
What am I doing wrong?
Is there any method to render a page with its default template? Like $this->render() and not $this->renderWith()

k0m0r

Community Member, 39 Posts

15 February 2012 at 6:53am

For the future me:

I just found Director::test($this->Link())->getBody() but I don't consider it a kosher way to do this.

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

16 February 2012 at 12:36am

Edited: 16/02/2012 12:38am

I don't think you can render a page from within the Page class: OnAfterWrite() belongs to the DataObject (the Page). It's the Page_Controller that knows howto render itself...

So you should be able to do it like this (haven't tested it though):

$class = $this->ClassName . "_Controller";
$controller = new $class($this);
$render = $controller->renderWith(array($this->ClassName,'Page'))); 

Having said that, I think OnAfterWrite() might be called multiple times. So it might not be a good idea to do this - unless you at least cache $render.

As for Director::test - I think SilverStripe uses it in their Static caching - so you might as well, as long as it works - although normally 'test' would make me hesitate as well :-)