Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Persisting form data on custom forms

Go to End

7 Posts   2042 Views

NETim

Community Member, 24 Posts

16 March 2012 at 5:16am

Hi,

I have a site with a custom search form as an include. The form itself works fine and posts data to the controller. The issue is that when we land on the results page, the search criteria entered into the form is lost and the form fields are left blank/unchecked.

Does anyone know of a way to have the form show the data that was entered once submitted.

Cheers,

T.

Jonathan Hyatt

Community Member, 11 Posts

16 June 2012 at 3:45am

Hi,

I am trying to do a similar thing. Did you ever find a solution?

Thanks,
J.

NETim

Community Member, 24 Posts

16 June 2012 at 4:09am

Jon,

We ended up using javascript to re-set the values once the page loaded. Not the prettiest solution but it works for what we need.

Hope that helps,

T.

Jonathan Hyatt

16 June 2012 at 4:36am

Edited: 19/06/2012 2:38am

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the response. What method did you use to persist the values? Did you just write out the script with the values as part of the page?

Dear MODERATORS GURUs:

I am looking at two options right now:

1. Persist the data using $form->SaveInto, saving the data object to session, then re-loading using $form->loadDataFrom. It make intuiative sense, but I'm not sure if it will work.

2. Forget Silverstripe form persistence and use AJAX to render my search results without reloading the page.

Do you have any sample code that would accomplish #1 above? I'd really like to know because it is one of those things that is valuable if you are doing any sort of app development style features in your site.

Thanks,
Jon

Jonathan Hyatt

16 June 2012 at 5:19am

Hi,

I am making some progress using method #1 above. The code works below, except for CheckBoxSetField and I suspect that is because it is a has_many relationship.

public function SearchForm()
    {
        $fields = new FieldSet(
            new TextField("TestTextField"),
            new CheckboxField("checkboxfieldtest"),
            new DropdownField('Country','Country',   array('NZ' => 'New Zealand','US' => 'United States', 'GEM'=> 'Germany')),
            new CheckboxSetField("System Type", "System Type", array("Board" => "Board","Enclosed" => "Enclosed"))
        );

$actions = new FieldSet(
            new FormAction("doResults", "Search")
        );

$form = new Form($this, "SearchForm", $fields, $actions);
        if (isset($_SESSION['searchFormData']))
        {
            $form->loadDataFrom($_SESSION['searchFormData']);
            $_SESSION['searchFormData'] = null;
        }
        return $form;
    }

public function doResults($data, $form)
    {
        $searchResults = DataObject::get("ProductPage");
        $formData = new DataObject();
        $form->SaveInto($formData);
        Debug::dump($formData);
        $_SESSION['searchFormData'] = $formData;
        return array("SearchResults" => $searchResults);
    }

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

17 June 2012 at 1:24am

Edited: 17/06/2012 1:25am

Hi there,

First of all - being a moderator doesn't necessarily make one a guru - it's more about responding to spamming and other unwanted behaviours :)

Aside from that, I think that, if you render the page results right away from the doResults method, the posted data should still be available in $_REQUEST or $_POST or $data or what have you, so you could just add while creating the search fields. At least that's how I do it. But your situation might be more complex?

Jonathan Hyatt

19 June 2012 at 2:41am

Edited: 19/06/2012 2:42am

Hi Martimiz,

Indeed, I modified the above post ;-)

I knew that was a possibility and I was hoping there was something in the Silverstripe Core that would automate this a bit, since that exists in other frameworks that I have worked with. And it looks like it does, with the SaveInto and LoadDataFrom functions. I've replaced my CheckboxSetField with standard Checkboxes and the solution I came up with is working well for me.

Thanks.
Jon