Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

global Vars

Go to End

4 Posts   861 Views

JonShutt

Community Member, 244 Posts

10 April 2012 at 2:12pm

Hi,

using htaccess I'm adding a parameter to the URL, which gives a different reference depending what subdomain the user is viewing

eg,
member1.mysite.com goes to mysite.com?ref=member1
member2.mysite.com goes to mysite.com?ref=member2

SS then presents slightly different info depending on the 'ref' code.

At present, each time I want to use the ref code, I'm getting the info form the url, checking againts a database table, and getting the user info.

I would like to get the data once, (maybe in the init function) and then set things like user ID, name etc as global vars.

If i set the global var in the init function, and try access it in another function, i'm getting swathes of errors. I could maybe set as a session - this could work, but i'm thinking there must be a var of doing this as a global var....

any ideas?

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

10 April 2012 at 7:43pm

I'd probably drop the .htaccess stuff and just parse the domain within silverstripe (in the page init method) and lookup the relevant member there. Instead of a global var I'd put the id into the session - but really if you make a nice succinct functino to parse the domain then whenever you want the informatino you coudl just call that instead of session / global var.

JonShutt

Community Member, 244 Posts

10 April 2012 at 8:16pm

Hi Barry,

Getting SS to parse the domain makes sense. For some reason hadn't thought about that.

This is now a different issue, but how would one define a function in the page.php file that I could call in the other pages? It's probably a simple issue but I didn't get this to work...

Cheers

Jon

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

10 April 2012 at 8:49pm

make it a public static function