Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Simple Demo App

Go to End

3 Posts   747 Views

rando

Community Member, 2 Posts

24 May 2012 at 9:19am

I wanted to try to get a simple SS demo up up and running, just to get a feel for the CMS. I installed SS 2.4.7 successfully, however in reading the requirements for the Simple Guestbook, it lists SpamProtectionModule, ReCaptchaModule, DataObjectModule, and PHPCaptcha module. I decided to start out trying to locate them with a keyword search in the modules section, and none were found. Then I just started with the first one in the alphabet "DataObjectModule", and I can't find that one either.

I suspect I may have made a bad call when I decided to try out SS. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this looks like yet another half-baked CMS, not quite ready for prime time. I'd like to make it work, but not if the basic development infrastructure isn't there.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

24 May 2012 at 10:55am

I've never heard of "DataObjectModule" maybe you mean "DataObjectManager"? But then I don't see that requirement on here http://www.silverstripe.org/simple-guestbook-module/

I generally stick to browsing github in order to get versions of modules - mainly because they are more frequently updated (remember all the silverstripe code is actually on github) also you are morelikely to get in contact with the module owner through that than here on the forum.

And you are quite right module listings on this site (and management in general) requires improvement - and it is getting that improvement right now - http://www.silverstripe.org/2012-google-summer-of-code-students-and-projects-announced/

rando

Community Member, 2 Posts

24 May 2012 at 12:04pm

Thanks.

Here's what I got from the readme file:

Requirements
-----------------------------------------------
At least SilverStripe 2.3
Requires SpamProtectionModule
Requires ReCaptchaModule
Requires DataObjectManager
Optional PHPCaptcha module

I was able to find DataObjectManager in the Modules section of the website, and ReCaptchaModule as well, but it wasn't clear which versions of SS they were compatible with. I couldn't find PHPCaptcha or SpamProtectionModule.

Thanks for the reply in any case.