Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

GitHub - pushing new tags from upstream...

Go to End

4 Posts   5263 Views

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

20 June 2012 at 11:54pm

Hi all,

I'm still very busy getting to grips with GitHub. I've forkted the SilverStripe repo's and set up my local repositories. I can push new upstream branches to my fork, but I'm not sure what to do with new tags.

I know this is not a SilverStripe question as such, but I still hope someone can/wants to enlighten me :)

Thanks, Martine

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

21 June 2012 at 10:27pm

Edited: 21/06/2012 10:29pm

What are your intentions with the tags? Do you wish to push a new tag? Most of the time you don't need to deal in tags but if you need to tag a release:

git tag production-release-239058
git push upstream --tags

If you wish to submit a pull request to SS, fork the module, push your commits to a remote branch then submit a new pull request from the github UI.

git checkout -b fix-something
git commit -a -m "MINOR: some changes..."
git push yourorigin fix-something

Then github UI.

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

21 June 2012 at 11:08pm

Edited: 21/06/2012 11:09pm

Thanks will, and no, I don't want to push any new tags, I just want to keep my fork in sync with upsream, but I don't know how to sync upstream tags - and if I even need to...

Point is - I'm trying to help out with updating the existing docs to ss3, but up until now I'm spending more time studying Github and its terminology trying to get to a point where my pull requests might stand a chance of being accepted. :(

So another rather stupid question: Which upstream branch do I use as base for ss3 - master? Or he new 3.0? Just so i can get this behind me and maybe do some work... :)

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

22 June 2012 at 2:48pm

Ok sorry, terminology put me off. Make sure you've read the documentation (http://doc.silverstripe.org/framework/en/trunk/misc/collaboration-on-git) and I'll try and simplify it.

So you first fork the module which you can then clone to your machine (e.g I would do git clone git@github.com:willrossi/sapphire.git).

3.0 is currently using the 'master' branch. Most of your changes should be on the master branch. So ensure that is checked out

git checkout master

But you don't want to work directly on master as you'll then need to do a lot of merges so lets branch out for our new feature

git checkout -b docupdates

Now you can make your changes, git add, and git commit each change and make sure you use the code 'MINOR: ' on any documentation updates.

git commit -a -m "MINOR: update documentation .. "

After you're happy with that piece of work and you want to pull your changes to your fork we created in #1. To make our life easier we'll push our branch we created ('docupdates') to the remote.

git push origin docupdates:docupdates.

Now you can make your pull request...

http://doc.silverstripe.org/framework/en/trunk/misc/collaboration-on-git has a lot more information but happy to provide a video explaination if that would help.

For documentation updates you can also edit the docs directly through the github interface by clicking the 'Edit this file' button in the Github UI.