Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Password all of a sudden not working

Go to End

7 Posts   1352 Views

Briohny

Community Member, 199 Posts

29 July 2012 at 6:55pm

I've had Silverstripe installed for years. Same password and login details for years too. I log in every morning to update the site. Yesterday morning the login page returned the error 'That doesn't seem to be the right e-mail address or password. Please try again.'

NO files have been changed. Nothing has been changed. No reason for this message. Tried from a few different computers. No luck.

I then used the 'forgotten my password reset link' which worked. I saved a new password. Logged into the CMS and all OK.

Then again this morning... same error 'That doesn't seem to be the right e-mail address or password. Please try again.' New password not working after yesterday's reset.

I can't figure out what is going on. Have I been hacked? Went into file history and couldn't see any modifications.

Please help.

Briohny

30 July 2012 at 3:07am

It seems that the password is only lasting for about 2 hours. i.e. I can log in again and again but after around 2 hours of non-usage, I can't log back in. Above error re-occurring. Any ideas????

Hattori

Community Member, 20 Posts

30 July 2012 at 4:57am

Edited: 30/07/2012 4:57am

It mean password has been changed, you should dump MemberPassword table beetween two hours to see if have any change.

Or, change password, download ur site then run it on ur computer, then increase 3 hours for ur computer time, then login again. If you can still login, it mean ur site got hacked, else check the site code to see if has a password expiration feature.

HumanFly

Community Member, 2 Posts

31 July 2012 at 5:56pm

I've got the same problem. I'm not really a SS user (just helping out someone else), so not really sure where to start with this?

Briohny

31 July 2012 at 6:55pm

Still don't know why this is happening. I've had to hardcode the password into the mysite/_config.php file with Security::setDefaultAdmin('admin', 'password');

It's fixed it but not the best resolution.

HumanFly

Community Member, 2 Posts

31 July 2012 at 7:11pm

Cheers for the tip! It "fixes" the problem for the admin account but all the users in the system still have the same issue. Painful stuff!

Ps. Are you in Australia or working late somewhere else in the world?

Briohny

1 August 2012 at 1:57am

Haha - na I'm living in Ireland at the moment!