Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Dissappointed

Go to End

4 Posts   840 Views

tazzydemon

Community Member, 135 Posts

29 November 2012 at 10:13am

Sirs

I have been using Silverstripe for years and in July decided to use V3 on a triplet of sites for my new full time employer. As it turned out, the stability of it was very disappointing with a couple of items in particular very much still there in 3.0.3. These issues contributed to the project running late.

However (and sadly for me) it was made irrelevant as I was recently made redundant when the company was bought by a competitor that was very much Microsoft based, so now I'm looking for work again. I'm still working on the sites as an exercise though and some time ago removed the subsites module as that made issue #2 much more confusing.

I've complained about both of these issues here, on Trac and Github. I went to a lot of trouble to prove the deleted items issue on Github

1. Hit the insert image icon in an editor and choose one "from the cms". Try to choose a subfolder from "Find in Folder" You can't. The stylesheets have been significantly modified - probably causing this issue. This issue was raised some time ago.

2. Much worse is that the view "all pages including deleted" does not work. Discussions I have had on this seem to focus on creating test models for everything. I firmly believe this has become an obsession with reality being abstract. Reality? Create a couple of nested pages, save them and publish if you want. Unpublish them if you have to and then delete from draft. They then show up as deleted, right? Well not really. Do a full refresh and see what happens. They vanish and viewing "All pages including deleted" does nothing.

I have had major discussions over this and the problem is without doubt in Versioned.php and perhaps objects that use it like Heirarchy.php. I have got part way there in modifying these but then I'm beaten. It goes too far. Authors have attempted to get rid of the temp table use earlier but created worse problems. One problem is that the ID in the Sitetree_versions table I think gets substituted for the PageID, which when the system is new may not be spotted but of course after a short while is a serious error. Why not created a Sitetree_deleted table so deleted stuff is readily identified and purgeable with cluttering up the test of the tables?

Good luck

Julian

kinglozzer

Community Member, 187 Posts

29 November 2012 at 10:16pm

I've never used the Subsites module so can't comment on #2, but I just tried #1 and it's working absolutely fine for me. I can browse through all the folders and insert images from the CMS fine.

What browser/os combination are you using? Are you sure it's a CSS issue? If you inspect the HTML source of the dropdown, are the folders there and just not being displayed when you click on the arrow to expand it?

tazzydemon

30 November 2012 at 8:57am

Edited: 30/11/2012 3:27pm

I (like most people these days it would seem) principally use chrome but of course all others as well.

It depends on which version you are on. 3.0.1 was ok, but 3.0.2 Rc brought this in about a month ago. See http://open.silverstripe.org/report/104 ticket 7999 and my newer ticket 8025 to reinforce this. A significant change was made to the tree css at this point. I did inspect the source behind the dropdown and it was correct as far as I can tell.

As an exercise I deleted, reset and then rechecked out 3.0.3. I then used Firefox instead. Result? Git Master still exhibits this problem but 3.0.3 release is OK. I am ashamed to admit that I have several copies off V3.0 running and used the wrong one for the first part of this test.

However this was not my biggest gripe..in fact its quite trivial. The broken deleted items remains that.

I removed the subsites module to decouple it from the problem #2. It has nothing to do with that problem.

tazzydemon

22 January 2013 at 9:06am

Sirs

I apologise for the tone of my missive at the start of this thread. I was not in the best frame of mind having been made redundant!

I appreciate the effort made by "Tractorcow" in fixing my complaint about the deleted items after I had spent an age trying to analyse and prove it. It required his in-depth knowledge to fix it.

The new 3.1 has some radical features and I look forward to more.

Julian