Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Urgent cry for help - Page re-ordering bug?: SOLVED

Go to End

5 Posts   1673 Views

w1l

Community Member, 13 Posts

14 December 2012 at 1:08pm

HI there

I have a client site due to golive today ... well it was due to ...

We reordered pages using the drag and drop functionality in the CMS site tree. Some pages were moved into their parent level, others may have been moved into their child level. Now the site tree won't open a section, it just displays a spinning symbol and i get an Internal Server Error message with growl.

Try to set up a log file to see if there any more info there.

I'm guessing the drag and drop functionality has tangled up the database - it should be impossible to drag a parent into a child section surely?

Any help would be FANTASTIC.

Liam

Community Member, 470 Posts

15 December 2012 at 11:13am

What version are you using?

You in dev mode to see the errors?

w1l

16 December 2012 at 11:07am

Thanks for your help Liam. (version 3.0.2)

Problem solved.

In phpMyAdmin I browsed the Site Tree data table. I opening the pages and reordered the section pages Parent IDs.

Which fixed the problem. I think the drag and drop functionality in the CMS has allowed a parent item to be saved inside a child of itself ... NOT A VERY HAPPY SITUATION.

Funnily i haven't been able to reproduce this problem, when i try (in the CMS) to move a parent into a child of itself a little red cross appears ...

w1l

16 December 2012 at 11:40am

Edited: 16/12/2012 12:13pm

As a follow up to this, I'm not certain of my hypothesis above, certainly the ParentID reordering fixed my problem, but i suspect the cause is that when an item is moved in the CMS Site tree - a 'modified' message appears next to the name ... if this page is not saved and further reordering occurs then BAM! The site tree locks up.

So this seems to me to be quite an important problem for SS to fix - relying on people to manually save files once moved in the site tree before making further edits is not in my view intuitive (and a 'modified' message does NOT communicate the need to open and save the page). If a user moves an item in a drag and drop display that act should complete the process - there shouldn't be a need to open and save that page.

Hope this is helpful ya all.

Liam

Community Member, 470 Posts

17 December 2012 at 3:58am

I know the page tree not saving on reorder has been talked about before in the past but I can't remember details.

Might want to open a bug report at http://open.silverstripe.org/ with your details and see if anything can come from it.

Glad you got it fixed.