Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

[solved] CMS unresponsive when using UploadField

Go to End

Marcinkonys

Community Member, 11 Posts

13 January 2013 at 8:05am

Edited: 13/01/2013 9:46am

Hello everybody,

At the moment the site I'm working on has a basic "About us" page that is simply a Page. I want to create a special type for it, called ApieMusPuslapis ("About Us Page"), because the page has links to some documents related to the firm, and I don't want the admin to have to fiddle with the WYSIWYG editor to link to these documents.

My aim is to introduce a new tab and allow files to be uploaded there. The thing is, with the code below, after a 'dev/build?flush=all', the CMS becomes pretty much unresponsive. Clicking anything such as the button to create a new page, or edit a current one, does nothing. The progress bar with the three dots keeps running for a couple of seconds, and then disappears. The only way to get into a page is to click on the URL in the address bar and hit enter.

Deleting this page type brings all the CMS functionality back, so there has to be a problem with this code.

<?php

class ApieMusPuslapis extends Page {

static $description = 'Informacija apie firmą su specialia dokumentų įkėlimo forma';

static $has_many = array(
		'Dokumentas' => 'File'
	);

public function getCMSFields() {
		$fields = parent::getCMSFields();
		$docsUpload = new UploadField('Dokumentas');
		$fields->addFieldToTab('Root.Dokumentai', $docsUpload);
		return $fields;
	}

}
class ApieMusPuslapis_Controller extends Page_Controller {
}

Moreover, with Firefox the upload field is pretty much unresponsive. You click on the button, select a file to upload, and nothing happens. Works in IE, though!

I tried changing the $has_many to $many_many after reading the forums about issues with UploadField, yet that doesn't change anything. There's actually a special "Title page" type that uses $has_many on an UploadField for images, and that works fine.

Has anyone had similar problems?

EDIT: After hours of searching I finally found the culprit! Apparently SS3 does not like you saving these php files as UTF-8. Switching back to ANSI in Notepad++ did the trick. I don't have special Lithuanian symbols right now, but that's a minor problem, really.. (though is there a way around this still?)

I guess it'd be good to leave this thread here in case others run into similar problems!