Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Confused between Joomla and Silverstripe?!

Go to End

2 Posts   1528 Views

Lemonie

Community Member, 70 Posts

15 January 2013 at 4:59am

I have been using Silverstripe for almost 12 months now but after a brief foray into Joomla recently I see I have not been using it properly. I currently do everything via the WYSIWYG editor and moving everything manually when it needs to move to another area.

In Joomla, I write an article, assign it to category and I can change that category. Where on earth is that function on here as I haven't found it. I am a complete newbie to CMS and am not sure I have the know how to use Silverstripe.

Is silverstripe on a par with Joomla with regards to skill levels or is Silverstripe just for serious developers?

Bigfork

Community Member, 23 Posts

15 January 2013 at 6:31am

It sounds like you're doing two different things with two different CMS's. If you fired up a third CMS you'd probably find it was different again.

To have articles in Silverstripe with the functionality you describe in Joomla you would create a new page type or dataobject with fields such as category so that content could be organised in this manner.

Out of the box, Joomla probably offers more options and has a load of modules that are easily installed. Silverstripe, on the other hand, has a greater learning curve but is much nicer (IMO) to develop for when it comes to customising the CMS.