Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

URL Structure

Go to End

2 Posts   1021 Views

Pete1881

Community Member, 2 Posts

12 February 2013 at 10:23pm

Can anyone help on the forum.

We have recently moved a site over to silverstripe from a bespoke CMS. Since moving over the site has seen a ranking drop. We maintained all the content, titles, link flows and URL structure. The only difference is for some reason with Silverstripe we are seeing two versions of each page.....one ending with a '/' and one without.
Does anyone know why this is the case and what we can do to remove the '/'.

Thanks

copernican

Community Member, 189 Posts

13 February 2013 at 2:30am

I'm wondering if it may be a different reason your ranking has decreased as according to this article (and if i understood it correctly) Google handles this situation fairly well (http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.ca/2010/04/to-slash-or-not-to-slash.html). Although they do recommend redirecting or using rel="canonical".

As a solution, you'd probably want to look into a .htaccess rewriteRule that redirects pages with trailing slashes to pages without it (or vice versa). Unfortunately rewriteRules are out of my comfort zone.