Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Over 20sec to save a page

Go to End

4 Posts   902 Views

suntrop

Community Member, 141 Posts

10 June 2013 at 1:19am

I set up a new site (v3.0) currently and noticed it takes sometimes more than 20 seconds to save a page. On average it takes about 15 seconds but sometimes I have to wait up to 30 seconds before page is saved and the response message appears. I only added 2 text fields and 6 upload fields (for photos). Site is installed on my managed server with less than 20 other sites and none is a high-traffic site.

Unfortunately I don't have a special tool to test. But is there anything I can check why it is so slow?

The front-end loads quickly, only the admin area is slow and saving pages is even slower. I checked saving in Chrome without any add-ons installed. Nothing better.

Any ideas?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

15 June 2013 at 8:40pm

Do you have the site running on your local machine to test to see if performance is an issue just on your server?

When you save a page, the onBefore/ onAfter write functions get called. It is possible you have code in those which may be executing slow (say you have something to email people when you publish a page). Or MySQL server could be slower in production than local. XHProf is a great tool to debug this information.

suntrop

16 June 2013 at 10:29am

Thanks Willr for your help!

I have no copy on a local machine, but I've got other installations on the same server and all save pages much quicker. Each installation has got the same PHP version/settings and is tied to the same MySQL server. None of them is configured differently. However, I've tested different PHP versions (even FastCGI is slow). There is no customization for onBefore() or onAfter(). Actually there is nothing I can think of what makes this installation different.

suntrop

6 July 2013 at 4:39am

I've got XHProf installed and wanted to test it. But where do I have to insert the start and end point? Which file is best insert the code and profile the back-end (perhaps the front-end as well).