Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

[SOLVED] How to make a video file downloadable

Go to End

4 Posts   1545 Views

jaaf

Community Member, 24 Posts

3 February 2014 at 5:46am

Hi,
I started with SilverStripe today and I would like to get advices on how to make a video file downloadable.
At the moment I have uploaded the video (194MO) into uploads but it doesn't show in the content editor. Pictures do.
I have a fresh install with no additional modules.

Thank you for help

jaaf

3 February 2014 at 6:58am

As a complement

I could manage to put a link to the file in the Uploads folder and the user can download the file. But it still doesn't show up in the media grabber in edition. Video files small do nevertheless.
I didn't see anything explaining how to deal more conveniently with big files but I am only in my first day.

mandrew

Community Member, 37 Posts

5 February 2014 at 11:17am

Hi jaaf,

Its recommended to use youtube.com, vimeo.com or another video streaming service so the user doesn't have to download the whole file and then add the video link like you would as an external link.

Mike.

jaaf

5 February 2014 at 11:03pm

Hi Mandrew,

Thank you for answer.
In fact, I don't like to depend on services like the one you cite. Moreover, as they are often, pedagogic videos, I prefer the user to download them. That way they don't suffer from the poor bandwith one can sometimes meet, and can be played at will, stopped, resumed etc. even with no connection to the Internet.

Elsewhere, I go on discovering SilverStripe and I really enjoy it. I was used to Drupal and Wordpress, but SS is frankly a model of clarity and efficiency I appreciate a lot.

José