Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

multisites possible?

Go to End

107 Posts   35714 Views

JL

Community Member, 10 Posts

6 October 2010 at 9:27pm

FullWebService, are you using SS 2.4.2? I have the same infinite redirect problem if I follow the instructions by Banal in http://silverstripe.org/general-questions/show/251650?start=56#post289221

I think the _ss_environment.php handling might have changed since 2.4.1. Here's what i do to make it work:

1) create _ss_environment.php with

define('BASE_PATH', rtrim(dirname(dirname($_SERVER['SCRIPT_FILENAME'])), DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR));

2) Do NOT add require_once('conf/ConfigureFromEnv.php'); into mysite/_config.php

The rest of the symlinks creations are the same.

FullWebService

Community Member, 38 Posts

6 October 2010 at 10:04pm

Edited: 06/10/2010 10:07pm

The folder thing were some symlinks gone rogue... I got that fixed.

Now I just get a blank page...

Looks like I've got some more debugging to do!

## EDIT ##

Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid is 0 is not allowed to access /tmp/silverstripe-cache-var-ss-242 owned by uid 48 in /var/ss/242/sapphire/core/ManifestBuilder.php on line 466

Odly enough, tmp is in the open_basedir line.

FullWebService

6 October 2010 at 11:06pm

With safe_mode off I get the infinite redirect problem. I have the _ss_enviroment.php set up and haven't put the line in that requires conf/ConfigureFromEnv.php.

Still... I have a feeling I'll get there eventually.

FullWebService

7 October 2010 at 12:55am

For some reason the _ss_enviroment.php method didn't work. UncleCheese's solution did!

Glad I got it working now!

uilli

Community Member, 2 Posts

27 October 2010 at 4:01am

Hi, I'm trying to install ss using the suggestions I've found on this thread to use multisites.

I have dloaded ss and created /var/ss242 containing:

-cms
-googlesitemaps
-sapphire
-themes
-_ss_environment.php

under www/html/silverstripe I have:

-mysite
-assets
-symlinks to the folders in /ss242 (I used "Create link" in gnome)
-.htaccess
-the other files from the archive

I gave read and write permissions to everyone in the /ss242 folder as well as assets, config.php and .htaccess
I went to http://localhost/silverstripe and started the installation, which freezes at "Building database schema..."

In the mysql db I can see some tables created but not all of them.

I also tried to untar everything under /www/html/silverstripe, ran the installation and could open the cms admin page.
then copied the folders under /ss242 and created the links.
When I access the ss page, it redirects me to the install.php page

any idea on what am I doing wrong?
am I supposed to put all the directories in place and then install or first install and then move them?

uilli

Community Member, 2 Posts

27 October 2010 at 4:23am

Edited: 27/10/2010 5:00am

tried UncleCheese's solution as well and I can access the index page now too, but get a 404 error when trying to access http://localhost/silverstripe/admin

edit: almost done. I had Allowoverride None set in httpd.conf

One last question: do I have to make a new installation for each site? and a new db? or can I just create a new folder in /www/html/ and put the same contenet as the original one?

bennettpr

Community Member, 37 Posts

23 February 2011 at 9:36pm

I realise this is a long running thread and I appreciate the expertise that's already been shared.

Question's I have are:
- I assume that all the sites each need to run on a separate database?
- what are the implications with core upgrades when running a shared codebase? Does dev/build need to be run on every site that uses the shared codebase? (It seems like this would be the case)
- if so, is there a simple way to put all sites in "maintenance mode", upgrade the core, run dev/build on each site, validate the upgrade and then put all sites back into "normal" mode again?

Once I can get my head around the long-term maintenance aspects I'll be keen to get this set up.

Thanks,
Paul

dompie

Community Member, 88 Posts

24 February 2011 at 4:17am

- Yes, every site requires a seperate DB
- Yes, dev/build?flush=all must be run on every single site (DB)
- I don't know of a build-in way to do so.

Regards
dompie