Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Menu Subitems

Go to End

8 Posts   1660 Views

Terminator4

Community Member, 81 Posts

26 January 2009 at 6:41pm

Hi,
I would like to know how to control a menu's subitems and choose to display a specific group in my sitetree. I would like to retrieve only the products on my menu, to a theme Page.ss, as like in the following example:

-Main
--Products
--ProdA
--ProdB
--Services
--ServA
--ServB

Carbon Crayon

Community Member, 598 Posts

26 January 2009 at 11:45pm

Edited: 26/01/2009 11:55pm

Provided your products are of a different page type you could do something like this:

<% control Menu(2) %>

<% if ClassName = ProductPage %>

<li> $MenuTitle etc.... </li>

<% end_if %>

<% end_control %>

Terminator4

28 January 2009 at 6:01am

Will try that out man. Thanks.

Is that the only / most efficient way?

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

28 January 2009 at 8:57am

If you want to ditch Menu(), you'll need to create a custom function in your page class such that:

function CustomPages($urlsegment) {
return DataObject::get("SiteTree", "some filter");
}

And in your tempalte

<% control CustomPages(products) %>
<li><a href="$URL">$Title</a></li>
<% end_control %>

Note that you could filter by whatever you want - so you could use a product group and a set of dataobjects, if that is more suitable.

Terminator4

28 January 2009 at 9:25am

Thats a good idea! Thanks... will try that approach.

mhdesign

Community Member, 216 Posts

2 December 2009 at 10:49am

Would this approach work in the following instance?

I have a site with a navigation setup for level 1 and level 2 pages. In some instances The Client wishes to have the list of sub-pages for a section appearing as a plain (bulleted) list within the page content. However in the bulk of the site the sub-pages appear within the navigation.

My initial thoughts were to use the Menu(2) control, with a condition that the Menu(2) list would only appear if the page was hidden from Navigation. However for obvious reasons this is not going to work so I need a workaround. Does anybody reading this know how to incorporate the aforementioned condition with a 'list children' kind of scenario?

TIA

Martijn

Community Member, 271 Posts

2 December 2009 at 11:48am

mhdesign

Community Member, 216 Posts

2 December 2009 at 2:01pm

Hi Martijn - thanks for this! Another helpful thing to know about SilverStripe! Unfortunately it's not quite what I'm looking for - I need to show the subpages of a particular section of the site within that section, while this would give me a list of pages that I selected from throughout the site. From an admin point of view, Client would probably prefer it if this happened automatically!

You wouldn't happen to know of anything like this, would you?