Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

What Causes The Menu To Be On The Left?

Go to End

4 Posts   1872 Views

jfusco

Community Member, 53 Posts

31 January 2009 at 3:36pm

I'm trying to understand what tells SS to put the menu on the left so it's floated like a picture and the page content snuggles up against it to the right? And for that matter, what tells the search box to be in the upper right?

I've looked at layout.css and some of the php and ss files but I can't find anything that indicates positioning information other than alignment. I want to be able to better control where elements I add appear on the page but it doesn't make sense to my HTML mind. I know very little about PHP and CSS so I keep vapor locking on it.

Can someone help me?

Thanks,
Joe

AdamJ

Community Member, 145 Posts

31 January 2009 at 3:48pm

I think you should look through the tutorials and documentation. Look for themes and templates.

jfusco

Community Member, 53 Posts

31 January 2009 at 4:13pm

Edited: 31/01/2009 4:35pm

Yeah, I'm digging through that right now but it's got me going around in circles. I can't for the life of me figure out what tells an element where it is supposed to be on a page.

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

1 February 2009 at 9:34pm

Edited: 01/02/2009 9:34pm

You might need to be more specific - are you not sure how the page source (HTML) is generated, or are you wondering how the generated HTML produces what you see.

Your questions sound more like CSS questions than Silverstripe - so not really relevant to this forum, however, here is pretty much everything you need to know on floating layouts:

http://css.maxdesign.com.au/floatutorial/