Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

DataObjects as Pages based on ModelAdmin

Go to End

4 Posts   734 Views

tahbit

Community Member, 24 Posts

21 May 2014 at 7:45pm

Hi - I have a problem that there must be a simple answer to. The problem is I have created an admin interface using ModelAdmin to create records and manage data. It's fab, does what I want it to do - GREAT!

I could have done a similar thing using pages and methods described in Tutorial 5 Relationship management. But that was not really the most efficient option for me. SO, now I have all this lovely data using the ModelAdmin interface it would be great to output it into some site pages so people can consume said data. I have followed the tutorials and know at a basic level how to create pages, custom page types etc - and yes the data relationship management tut makes sense but only takes you so far...

What I now need is a nudge to a resource that will help me translate the ModelAdmin data into pages. I have searched and searched the forum for solutions but all I have found is stuff that is years old and out of date - focusing on version 2 mostly.

Could anyone help point me in the right direction? Thanks! (I am sure the answer is blindingly obvious but I just cannot see it! :))

camfindlay

Forum Moderator, 267 Posts

21 May 2014 at 8:12pm

This module might be of use if you want DataObjects to equate to pages. Otherwise you can just use the ORM/Data Model to call out these DataObjects via a Page_Controller method.

https://github.com/arambalakjian/DataObject-as-Page

tahbit

22 May 2014 at 2:39am

Thanks so much for your prompt response - I'll have a look at both options and make a decision on the best outcome. BTW - I'm very impressed with the workflow of SS - I've used a few CMSs in my time and this is right up there!

tahbit

23 May 2014 at 2:05am

Had a look at the DataObject to Pages module and it trashed my install so have opted for the DataObject PageController method and roll my own.

As I suspected - after you mentioned the latter option I realised the answer was right there in front of me - thanks for the tip - a real help.