Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

UGC and System Wide registration/login system

Go to End

3 Posts   2102 Views

Tsinen

Community Member, 2 Posts

25 March 2009 at 9:42am

One of the major issues I have with SilverStripe at the moment is the complete lack of a fully integrated user registration system. In the current environment with so much User Generated content it really limits the things one can do. There is no way to use the CMS to make a highly user driven community with out doing a lot of hacking.

Is there any thought of making a complimentary login system? I know I can hack the Forum login system, but I want, dare I say need something that the CMS understands natively, so I can define content as user submittable and user editable.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

25 March 2009 at 3:50pm

Nicolaas is working on a SS wiki system. Includes front end editing and logging in / registration. Don't know what state its in but you can see the discussion here http://groups.google.com/group/silverstripe-dev/browse_thread/thread/7cabe36244d4eea5 . Is that along of lines of what you need?

How the forum module handles logging in is a perfectly valid way of using the built in security class. What I think you mean is there is no way to install a module and get a user submission system out of the box. Which is true, you will have to do some sort of coding work to have a user editable system but it is certainly possible within the current permission system that is available.

Tsinen

Community Member, 2 Posts

28 March 2009 at 8:02am

True it is easy to tack on a user registration system. The problem is not whether I can add a registration system, but that with out a centralized user log in system each module will have a different implementation if they have registration. Every module you install that you want to expose UGC functionality you have to hack to make it aware of the registration system.

If SilverStripe had a user registration system as part of the base install, modules could write to that standard and UGC would be fostered through out the CMS.