Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

skill level for silverstripe users

Go to End

2 Posts   1152 Views

ewc09

Community Member, 1 Post

4 April 2009 at 3:46am

I'm a graphic designer who has designed websites using xhtml and css.
I have not used php, javascript, etc. Will I be able to design a sight for my client using silverstripe cms, including a members only area, without more advanced programming skills, just basic html/css. And will they be able to easily learn silverstripe so they can maintain and update their website.

any advice

bummzack

Community Member, 904 Posts

4 April 2009 at 5:54am

Edited: 04/04/2009 5:55am

Hi and welcome to the forums

I'm not sure if there's a way to create a SilverStripe Site without touching some PHP files :). The PHP coding can be very trivial though (eg. defining some array entries that will then be used to create the Database fields). Maybe you should check out the Tutorials:
http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=tutorial:1-building-a-basic-site

If you can complete/understand these, you should be able to create your own sites with SilverStripe.
As for the maintaining and updating of the Site: I think that's a huge advantage of SilverStripe compared to other CMSes. It's really simple to use.

Just try it. You'll discover soon enough if it fits your needs.