Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Custom Page Sections

Go to End

2 Posts   1631 Views

marcelluseasley

Community Member, 3 Posts

2 May 2009 at 3:18am

I am getting started with SilverStripe, so I am not sure about something. I want to create a site with multiple pages (of course). On some pages, I want different sections, or columns. Is there some way to have the template system insert certain "chunks" of text from the backend.

For example if I have a two column page. One of the columns will be %Content, I guess. If I want the second column to contain something like hours operation or just different random info, how would I go about setting that up in the backend and what template command would I include in the .ss file?

FungshuiElephant

Community Member, 57 Posts

2 May 2009 at 4:01am

Edited: 02/05/2009 4:02am

You can have two columns of static content by creating a custom page type.
You can have a page with one column of static content and a second area of random content by using the random content widget.
Neither of these options is straight-forward or obvious to do, but at least you know that it can be done in Silverstripe.

I recommend starting out with the general tutorials:
http://doc.silverstripe.org/doku.php#level_1building_your_first_silverstripe_website
You'll have a good grasp of all things Silverstripe if you complete them. They're pretty gentle but allow days rather than hours to get your head round it all.

It will require a minimal amount of programming to do what you want in addition to CSS stuff to get your page looking right.

Good luck.