Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

HELP! Sidebar menu display issues!

Go to End

12 Posts   5011 Views

nostrad

Community Member, 25 Posts

4 May 2009 at 5:07am

Aram - stop saying that it is not a problem with SilverStripe ! Everything included in this software package is supposed to be part of SilverStripe. If something does not work - you cannot say it is not a problem of the software. Please. And stop telling me to read the tutorials. What I have is an issue with CSS or HTML somewhere in the files - the problem needs to be resolved. With your telling me to look here and change the CSS - I already know this . The problem is I don't know what to change and which file - and you cannot help me - so please refrain from giving these 'obvious' general response. I am looking forward to the developers or some expert user to give a specific response on solving my issue. Sorry, but you have not been of any help.

Carbon Crayon

Community Member, 598 Posts

4 May 2009 at 5:48am

lol, you make me laugh :)

Anyway this should fix your problem:

themes/blackcandy/css/layout.css

remove line 216: height: 1.8em;

You may need to adjust the little arrow graphic to stretch over a wider distance to make it look clean.

The issue here is that the blackcandy Theme (i.e. not SS itself) is set to have a fixed height for it's menu items, so if a long title is entered it will simply overflow onto the next item in the list. Firefox is a standards complient browser and so will stick to this wheras IE tends to do it's own thing, which in this case was useful, but in most is thoroughly annoying. IE 7 seemed to have the same issue as FF though.

On a side note if you expect a core developer to help you fix CSS issues then you will be sorely dissapointed, these are the kind of issues that they expect us to resolve by ourselves because SilverStripe is targeted at Developers not end users. If you are developing sites you ought to have a reasonable grasp of CSS.

nostrad

Community Member, 25 Posts

4 May 2009 at 5:52am

Edited: 04/05/2009 6:08am

@Aram: Thanks for responding. Surprising that you took my scolding so well.. few people like you manage to stay positive in light of negative remarks to themselves.. I congratulate you. I am trying it now on the live site and will post back here with my findings. Thanks again.

UPDATE: Aram, that seemed to have fixed it. Hopefully, anyone else facing this same issue can find this post and follow the instruction to fix it themselves. And even more hopefully, next release of SS will have that line 216 commented out. Thank you for your immediate assistance. - Nostrad.

Kalileo

Community Member, 127 Posts

4 May 2009 at 6:23am

It is not only the BlackCandy theme which has this issue with the fixed height, but also some other themes. The solution as aram describes, taking out the fixed height declaration, usually is enough. However it might not work nicely with all themes, such as the old Vista theme. overflow:hidden; might help somewhat too, but then longer text is cut off. So it means that either the theme needs to be redesigned, or the user needs to understand that some fields have a length limitation.

In my eyes this is clearly a theme problem, a design problem, and has nothing to do with the SS php code. My vote is for having the core developers doing just that, developing the core, and not fiddling with design issues.

@nostrad: you might wanna get familiar with Firefox and Firebug (an extension/plug-in of Firefox). Firebug would have helped you to see very fast that there is a fixed height set and exactly in which file it is set, with path, file name, and line number. Once you have used that tool, you will not know how you had survived without it before.

Go to Top