Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Silverstripe for Social Networking Site?

Go to End

7 Posts   3427 Views

madelikethis

Community Member, 1 Post

25 May 2009 at 8:17am

I've just discovered Silverstripe and would like to know if it is extensible to work for a simple social networking site around a topic. In other words, I would like "members" to be able to find each other by zip code and topic.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

25 May 2009 at 5:30pm

It is quite simple to build a basic social networking site but yes you do have to write a bit of code. The registeration module (which can be found in svn) contains an example signup form and profile management. That should be the barebones - then you just need to extend that to add more components (like finding member forms etc).

While their was some talk of a social network module a while back I have yet to see anything from it.

timcole

Community Member, 32 Posts

7 July 2010 at 5:28am

I have been working on some of the basics of this - registration module, profile module, etc.
If there is sufficient interested I'd be willing to finish it off into a package - but I would probably look to charge something for it. Maybe £100 or £200? if there were at least 10-15 people interested, that would make it viable for me.

JonShutt

Community Member, 244 Posts

1 February 2012 at 5:18pm

If people are interested - I'm building something like this, you can download it from my site here

http://www.futureweb.co.nz/modules/silverstripe-friends-module/

cumquat

Community Member, 201 Posts

27 April 2013 at 10:21pm

Hi there,

Did you move any further forward with this, i'm looking at setting up a social networking site, where you can add friends as well as message/chat.

Mick

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

28 April 2013 at 12:39am

cumquat

Community Member, 201 Posts

28 April 2013 at 12:43am

Cheers for those, I'm looking at doing this on 3.1 will have a look and see how easy they are to upgrade.

Mick